Exploring Old AS400 RPGII: A Guide for Beginners

• Thread starter TalonD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginners
In summary, the conversation discusses the AS400 RPGII programming language and the use of punch cards in the past. The speaker is looking for a tutorial to familiarize themselves with old legacy programs, while another person mentions having experience with RPG II but stopped using it in high school.
TalonD
anyone familiar with old AS400 RPGII ?

Technology news on Phys.org
Don't tell me that you have a square punch card with 96 columns and round holes in your possession.

lol, I don't have those in my possesion. but I do remember them. they were just being phased out when I was in college back in the early 80s.

Although there is a shadow box on the wall in our office that has an old punch card as well as a vacuum tube from eniac !

back to my rpg question, I have to maintain some old legacy programs that use the rpg cycle and left hand indicators and level breaks. Is there a tutorial online anywhere where I could familiarize myself with that old stuff? I'm used to the modern ILE RPG4

Sorry. That wouldn't be me. I stopped writing RPG back in high school. I used an AS400, but wrote most of my RPG on an 1130 using RPG II. I think we had 6 card types in II and there were 12 in RPG4.

1. What is "Exploring Old AS400 RPGII: A Guide for Beginners" about?

"Exploring Old AS400 RPGII: A Guide for Beginners" is a comprehensive guide that teaches beginners how to use the AS400 RPGII programming language. It covers the basics of RPGII, including data types, control structures, and file handling, and provides step-by-step instructions on how to write and run RPGII programs.

2. Is any prior programming experience required to understand this guide?

No, this guide is designed for beginners with little to no programming experience. It starts with the basics of RPGII and gradually builds upon them, making it easy for anyone to follow along and learn.

3. Are there any resources included in the guide?

Yes, the guide includes code samples, exercises, and practice problems to help readers apply what they have learned. It also includes a glossary of RPGII terms and a reference section for quick access to commonly used commands.

4. Can this guide be used as a reference for experienced RPGII programmers?

While this guide is primarily aimed at beginners, experienced RPGII programmers may find it useful as a refresher or for learning new techniques. However, it is not intended to be a comprehensive reference for advanced programming concepts.

5. Is this guide specific to the AS400 platform?

Yes, this guide is specifically focused on RPGII programming for the AS400 platform. However, many of the concepts and techniques taught can be applied to other RPGII-based systems.