Where Should a Proton be Placed to Create an Electric Field at the Origin?

In summary, to create an electric field of <0, 3x10^4, 0> N/C at the origin, a proton should be placed at a distance of 2.19x10^-7 above the x-axis. This proton will cause a +1C charge to accelerate away from the origin in a direction opposite to the proton's position. The electric force between like charges is repulsive, so the sign of the force would be negative.
RET80

Homework Statement

You want to create an electric field = < 0, 3x10^4,0 > N/C at location < 0, 0, 0>.
Where would you place a proton to produce this field at the origin?

Homework Equations

1/4?? * q/r^2 = 3x10^4 N/C

(if you can't see the 1/4th part of the equation it's 1/(4(pi)(epsilon-not)) == 9.0x10^9 or just k)

The Attempt at a Solution

I moved everything over so that I can solve for r^2 and got this as my equation:
r = sqrt((9.0x10^9)(1.6x10^-19)/(3x10^4))

I ended up getting 2.19x10^-7 however its' saying it's not correct. I have it set up as a vector:
<0, 2.19x10^-7, 0>

Does it need to be negative for a proton in relation to the electric field?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
if you place a proton at 2.19E-7 above the x-axis, which way will a +1C charge accelerate when it is placed at the origin?

jehan60188 said:
if you place a proton at 2.19E-7 above the x-axis, which way will a +1C charge accelerate when it is placed at the origin?

I have nooo idea. I'm kind of hazy as to the magnitude and direction of charged particles, so I'm not sure if its pointing up or down

like charges (attract or repel) each other

Oh wait, if it's at the origin, a proton would move away, so the sign would be negative, wouldn't it?

right

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles or objects. It is represented by lines that show the direction of the force at different points in space.

2. How are electric fields created?

Electric fields are created by the presence of charged particles. When a charged particle is placed in space, it creates an electric field that extends in all directions. The strength of the electric field depends on the magnitude and distribution of the charged particles.

3. How do electric fields interact with particles?

Electric fields interact with charged particles by exerting a force on them. The direction of the force depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field. Positive charges are pushed in the direction of the electric field, while negative charges are pulled in the opposite direction.

4. How are electric fields measured?

Electric fields can be measured using a device called an electric field meter. This device measures the strength and direction of the electric field at a specific point in space. Electric fields can also be calculated using mathematical equations that take into account the charge and distance between particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric fields?

Electric fields have many real-world applications, such as in electronic circuits, where they are used to control the flow of electricity. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, to create images of the body. Electric fields are also used in everyday objects like televisions and cell phones to create and transmit signals.