Clarification of homework question meaning

• Thread starter physstudent.4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, The question is asking for the relative uncertainty in an electron's x-component of momentum given that its position is measured with an accuracy matching its de Broglie wavelength. The relevant equation is ΔxΔp >= h(bar)/2 and the key to solving this problem is recognizing that Δx depends on p. The correct answer is Δp/p.
physstudent.4

Homework Statement

Suppose you measured the x-component of position of an electron to an accuracy
matching it’s de Broglie wavelength, i.e., Δx = lambda/2. What is the relative
uncertainty in the electron’s x-component of momentum, Δp/p?

Homework Equations

ΔxΔp >= h(bar)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I just wanted to clarify that relative uncertainty is Δp, not Δp/p. My professor writes these questions and is currently sick, so I feel like he may have not been thinking completely clearly... I am finding Δp, and not the ratio Δp/p? I am pretty sure I merely need Δp.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure that your professor does want you to find what the relative uncertainty is (which is Δp/p).

The key to this problem is that Δx depends on p.

ooh, okay, I got it now, thanks!

1. What is the purpose of clarifying the meaning of a homework question?

The purpose of clarifying the meaning of a homework question is to ensure that you fully understand what is being asked of you. This will help you complete the assignment accurately and efficiently.

2. How do I know if I need clarification on a homework question?

If you are confused or unsure about any aspect of the homework question, it is best to seek clarification. This could include unfamiliar vocabulary, unclear instructions, or a lack of context.

3. Who should I ask for clarification on a homework question?

You can ask your teacher or professor for clarification on a homework question. You can also ask a classmate or a tutor for assistance. It is important to ask someone who is knowledgeable and can provide accurate information.

4. What should I do if I still don't understand the homework question after clarification?

If you are still struggling to understand the homework question after seeking clarification, it is important to communicate this to your teacher or professor. They may be able to provide additional explanations or resources to help you understand.

5. How can clarifying the meaning of a homework question improve my learning?

Clarifying the meaning of a homework question can improve your learning by helping you fully understand the material. It can also help you identify any areas where you may need additional practice or support, leading to a deeper understanding of the subject matter.