Using the Frobenius Method - 2nd order DE

In summary, the given differential equation has singular points at n*pi that are regular, requiring the use of the Frobenius method. Rewriting the equation as (x^2)*sin(x)*y"+(x^2)*y'+sin(x)*(1-x)y=0 and expanding sin(x) results in a double summation. The next step is to find the indicial equation and the forms of two linearly independent expansions around x=0. Further clarification is needed on the meaning of "find the forms of the two linearly independent expansions."
outhsakotad
Using the Frobenius Method -- 2nd order DE

Homework Statement

y"+(1/sinx)y'+((1-x)/x^2)y=0

Find the indicial equation and forms of two linearly independent expansions about x=0. Don't find the coefficents.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The singular points at n*pi are regular, and thus I need to use the method of Frobenius. I normally don't have a problem using this method, but I am a bit thrown off by the (1/sinx) term. I tried rewriting the DE as (x^2)*sin(x)*y"+(x^2)*y'+sin(x)*(1-x)y=0, thinking that it might be a good idea to write sin(x) as an expansion. But then I end up with a double summation, and I'm not sure how to get the indicial equation out of it first of all. And I am not sure what it means by "find the forms of the two linearly independent expansions..." Anyway, I attached a PDF showing my work and where I got stuck. Any hints would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• work_DE.pdf
    180.4 KB · Views: 208
Physics news on Phys.org

Never mind.

1. What is the Frobenius Method?

The Frobenius Method is a technique used to solve linear second order differential equations with variable coefficients. It involves finding a power series solution to the equation and determining the recurrence relation between the coefficients.

2. When is the Frobenius Method used?

The Frobenius Method is typically used when the equation cannot be solved using standard methods, such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is also useful when the coefficients of the equation are not constant.

3. What are the steps involved in using the Frobenius Method?

The steps involved in using the Frobenius Method are:
1. Assume a power series solution for the equation
2. Substitute the series into the equation and equate coefficients of like powers of the independent variable
3. Set up a recurrence relation between the coefficients
4. Solve the recurrence relation to find the values of the coefficients
5. Substitute the values of the coefficients into the power series solution to obtain the general solution of the equation.

4. What is the difference between the Frobenius Method and the Method of Frobenius?

The Frobenius Method refers to the general technique used to solve second order differential equations, while the Method of Frobenius specifically refers to the application of this technique to problems with singular points. The Method of Frobenius involves using a modified power series solution and accounting for the presence of a singularity in the equation.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Frobenius Method?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the Frobenius Method. It may not always be possible to find a power series solution to the equation, in which case another method must be used. Additionally, the method may be more complex and time-consuming compared to other techniques, making it less practical for certain problems.