Question about the Frobenius method and Bessel functions

In summary, the Frobenius method only works when the coefficient functions in the ode have pole singularities. If the coefficient functions do not have pole singularities, then the Frobenius method will not work. Furthermore, the second derivative is not defined at zero for Bessel's equation, but when the ode is solved, the second derivative is well defined at x=0.
timetraveller123

Homework Statement

i have been trying to learn bessel function for some time now but to not much help

firstly, i don't even understand why frobenius method works why does adding a factor of x^r help to fix the singularity problem. i saw answers on google like as not all function can be represented like negative,fractional,complex exponents and adding the r helps to take of .

secondly, why does frobenius method only work when it is regular singular point. from what i saw
##
y'' + \frac{p(x)}{x}y' + \frac{q(x)}{x^2}y = 0
##
p and q need to analytic around zero why this condition. why wouldn't frobenius work if they weren't

thirdly, from what i see in the previous equation, for such equations the second derivative is not defined at zero. but when i see bessel function(solution of one such equation) the second derivative seems to be well defined at x =0
cyl_bessel_j.png

how is it not defined .

i am sorry if i don't make sense but i am very much a begineer in these thing it would be of much help if anyone could help me out thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• cyl_bessel_j.png
    cyl_bessel_j.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 732
Physics news on Phys.org
If the coefficient functions in your ode have pole singularities, then one would expect the solution may also have pole singularities, which is why you'd throw a ##x^r## out in front of a power series so that your solution can at most be a finite Laurent series. Have a look at section 10.3 of

https://archive.org/details/courseofmodernan00whit/page/197

to see why Frobenius will not give two solutions without the conditions you mentioned (the indicial equation is then at most of first order).

Likes timetraveller123
bolbteppa said:
If the coefficient functions in your ode have pole singularities, then one would expect the solution may also have pole singularities
wait what are you saying solutions to such equations also have "problems" at that point because once again as an example the bessel function seems to behave nicely at x=0
i am really sorry if i don't make sense and i really appreciate your help thanks
and i will look through the book you said

timetraveller123 said:
wait what are you saying solutions to such equations also have "problems" at that point because once again as an example the bessel function seems to behave nicely at x=0
i am really sorry if i don't make sense and i really appreciate your help thanks
and i will look through the book you said

As with every second-order linear ODE, Bessel's equation has two linearly independent solutions. The J function, which is the one you have been looking at, is analytic at the origin. The other solution is the Y function, which has a singularity at the origin.
BesselY_850.gif

For this reason it is often ignored in applications.

Attachments

• BesselY_850.gif
    BesselY_850.gif
    8 KB · Views: 490
Likes timetraveller123
oh wow thanks that clears up a lot i completely forgot about the second kind
but why does r have to be constant for every term what if the exponents in the power series of the solutions are not separated by integers
maybe what i don't understand is how does one ensure that the new r term will encompass all such functions

1. What is the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to find solutions to differential equations that cannot be solved using standard methods. It involves assuming a power series solution and solving for the coefficients.

2. Why is the Frobenius method important?

The Frobenius method is important because it allows us to find solutions to differential equations that would otherwise be unsolvable. It is particularly useful in solving problems involving Bessel functions, which arise in many areas of physics and engineering.

3. What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a type of special functions that arise in solving differential equations with cylindrical or spherical symmetry. They have applications in various fields such as heat transfer, quantum mechanics, and signal processing.

4. How are Bessel functions related to the Frobenius method?

The Frobenius method is often used to find solutions to differential equations involving Bessel functions. This is because Bessel functions cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, making them difficult to solve using standard methods. The Frobenius method allows us to find power series solutions, which can then be used to approximate Bessel functions.

5. What are some examples of problems where the Frobenius method and Bessel functions are useful?

The Frobenius method and Bessel functions are commonly used in problems involving heat transfer, wave propagation, and quantum mechanics. They are also useful in solving boundary value problems for certain types of differential equations.