Point on surface closest to origin.

In summary, the problem is trying to find the point on the surface that is closest to the origin. You can solve the problem by minimizing the distance squared or using Lagrange multipliers.
mathman44

Homework Statement

Hello all. The question asked here is to find the point on the surface:

z2 - xy = 1

that is closest to the origin.

The Attempt at a Solution

I only have experience in doing this with 2 variables. I begin by trying to find "d", I get that d = sqrt[...] but I have three variables to deal with. I end up with

d2 = (z2-1)/y + (z2-1)/x + xy + 1

The problem is that the partial derivatives with respect to x, y and z are quite messy and they don't look right... Does this look correct so far? Thanks all!

Physics news on Phys.org
You want the points on this surface whose distance is smallest. This means you want to minimize
[tex]d~=~\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}~=~\sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + xy + 1} [/tex]

In the second square root, I replaced z2 with an expression it is equal to, because of the definition of the surface.
Equivalently, you can minimize the distance squared, which is
d2 = f(x, y) = x2 + y2 + xy + 1

You need to keep in mind that there is a domain here, {(x, y) | xy + 1 >= 0}. It seems very likely to me that you'll have a minimum point on the boundary of this domain.

Tyvm.

Or you could use Lagrange multipliers. Since the same point that minimizes distance will minimize distance square you can take [itex]F(x,y,z)= x^2+ y^2+ z^2[/itex] as the function to be minimized subject to the constraint that [itex]G(x,y,z)= z^2- xy= 1[/itex].

The max or min will occur where [itex]\nabla F[/itex] and [itex]\nabla G[/itex] are parallel- that is, that [itex]\nabla F= \lambda\nabla G[/itex] for some number [itex]\lambda[/itex], the "Lagrange multiplier".

Here that becomes [itex]2x\vec{i}+ 2y\vec{j}+ 2z\vec{k}= \lambda(-y\vec{i}- x\vec{j}+ 2z\vec{k})[/itex]

thats interesting geomtrically as well, as [itex]\nabla G[/itex] is perpindicular to the level surfaces of G(x,y,z).

And [itex]\nabla F[/itex] will always point in the radial direction of the position vector

so i think you could probably use this to show that the vector connecting a point with the closest point on a given surface, will be normal to the tangent plane of the surface...

1. How is the point on a surface closest to the origin determined?

The point on a surface closest to the origin is determined by finding the shortest distance between the origin (0,0,0) and any point on the surface. This can be done using mathematical equations and algorithms, taking into account the shape and dimensions of the surface.

2. Can the point on a surface closest to the origin be easily calculated?

In most cases, the point on a surface closest to the origin can be calculated using mathematical equations and algorithms. However, for more complex surfaces or shapes, it may require more advanced mathematical methods and techniques.

3. What is the significance of finding the point on a surface closest to the origin?

Finding the point on a surface closest to the origin is important in many fields of science and engineering. It can help in optimizing designs, determining the center of mass of an object, and finding the shortest distance between two points.

4. Is there only one point on a surface closest to the origin?

No, there can be multiple points on a surface that are equidistant from the origin, making them all the closest points. These points form a circle or sphere around the origin, depending on the dimension of the surface.

5. Can the point on a surface closest to the origin change?

Yes, the point on a surface closest to the origin can change if the shape or dimensions of the surface are altered. It can also change if the origin is moved or if the surface itself is moved in relation to the origin.