Evaluate the integral, integration by parts

In summary: You seem to be going backwards. We were trying to find the integral of (1/2)*(1-1/u)du. What's that?∫(1/2)*(1-1/u)duIn summary, the conversation discusses finding the integral of ∫ln (2x+1) dx using integration by parts and substitution techniques. The individual asking for help is unsure of which substitution to use and how to proceed with integrating. The expert suggests using a u-substitution and walks through the process of finding the integral. The conversation also touches on the confusion and
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

∫ln (2x+1) dx

Homework Equations

∫u dv=uv- ∫ v du
integration by parts

The Attempt at a Solution

u= ln (2x+1) dv=dx
du=? v=x

ok did i choose the right u and how do i derive it, do i have to use the chain rule

π²³ ∞ 0° ~ µ ∑ Ω √ ∫ ≤ ≥ ± # … θ φ ψ ω Ω α β γ δ ∂ ∆ ε λ Λ Γ ô

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Use the chain rule.

You did choose the 'right' u, although a substitution like g=2x+1 might make things easier, though it's not necessary. To find du, just apply the chain rule, and use the fact that d/dx(ln(x)) = 1/x.

ok, i'll try it out

so i used the chain rule and i did this
ln (2x+1)= 1/x * (2x+1) * 2= du

did i do it correctly and du is 4x+4/x

If [tex]u = ln(2x+1)[/tex] then [tex]du = \frac{2 dx}{2x+1}[/tex]

Last edited:
so i did it wrong

i don't get how you got 2/2x+1

Looks like it :-/

It might make sense to do the derivative like this:

First: g(x)=2x+1 and f(x)=ln(g(x)) so then the chain rule is:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x) = g'(x)*f'(g(x)) [/tex]

g'(x) = 2 and f'(g(x)) = 1/g(x) = 1/(2x+1)

From there is should be pretty easy to follow.

oh ok, i didn't know i could've used g for 2x+1 that's what the other guy was telling me, I'm really rusty on my calculus, thanks

this is what i got so far
u= ln (2x+1) dv=dx
du= 2/2x+1 v=x

ln (2x+1) (x) - ∫x (2/2x+1

now I'm integrating ∫x (2/2x+1 dx
u=x dv=2/2x+1
du=dx v=?
I'm stuck here how do i antiderive 2/2x+1

Last edited:
is it 1/2 (2x+1)

ok I've decided to use u=2/2x+1 dv=x
du=2x-4/(2x+1)^2 v=dx

i forgot about factoring do i have to factor du now

If you want to integrate (2x)/(2x+1) don't use parts. Use the substitution u=2x+1 again. So 2x=u-1. Can you put it all together?

ok i'll give it a shot

ok what do i do after

afcwestwarrior said:
ok what do i do after

After what? What you done so far? I'm just suggesting you do it as a u-substitution. You've done that before, right? What's the integral in terms of u?

du is the term

afcwestwarrior said:
du is the term

? You have 2x/(2x+1)dx. You want to replace all of the parts with their equivalents in terms of u. What's the new u integral?

i don't know I'm confused

is this what u mean u-1/2x+1

or u-1/u

2x+1=u, right? 2x=u-1, right? du=2dx, so dx=du/2, right? That makes it (u-1)/u*du/2. Now (u-1)/u=1-1/u, yes? Can you integrate (1/2)*(1-1/u)du?

afcwestwarrior said:
or u-1/u

Right. Use parentheses tho. You mean (u-1)/u. Not u-(1/u). Don't forget to substitute for the dx part.

integrate by parts
1/2* x - ∫x *2dx

afcwestwarrior said:
integrate by parts
1/2* x - ∫x *2dx

You switched problems? What are you doing?

woops, man i took calculus last year and now I'm taking it again and i forgot everything

afcwestwarrior said:
woops, man i took calculus last year and now I'm taking it again and i forgot everything

I couldn't agree more strongly. We are at 28 posts on a not very hard problem. Jeez. Last I recall, we were trying to figure out the integral of (1/2)*(1-1/u)du. Can you help me with that?

1. What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is a method of evaluating integrals that involves breaking down a complicated integral into simpler parts and using a specific formula to solve it.

2. When should I use integration by parts?

You should use integration by parts when the integral contains a product of two functions, one of which can be differentiated and the other can be integrated.

3. What is the formula for integration by parts?

The formula for integration by parts is ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du, where u and v are functions and du and dv are their differentials.

4. How do I choose which function to differentiate and which to integrate?

When using integration by parts, you should choose the function to differentiate based on the LIATE rule, which stands for logarithmic, inverse trigonometric, algebraic, trigonometric, and exponential. The function to integrate should be chosen based on which one will become simpler after being integrated.

5. Can I use integration by parts for definite integrals?

Yes, integration by parts can be used for definite integrals by applying the formula and substituting the limits of integration into the resulting equation.