Reducing Bessel Function Integral

In summary, the conversation discusses two different attempts at using integration by parts with different values for u and dv. However, both attempts do not lead to a favorable outcome. The book provides an answer, which involves the use of certain identities and the application of integration by parts twice. This eventually leads to the desired solution. The person asking for help realizes their mistake and solves the problem.
Jacob Nie
Homework Statement
Any integral of the form ##\int x^m J_n(x) dx## can be evaluated in terms of Bessel functions and the indefinite integral ##\int J_0(x)dx,## which cannot be simplified further. Use the identities ##J_p'(x) = J_{p-1}(x) - \dfrac{p}{x}J_p(x)## and ##J_p'(x) = \dfrac{p}{x} J_p(x) - J_{p+1}(x)## to evaluate ##\int x^2J_0(x)dx.##
Relevant Equations
Should be able to do it with just the two properties listed in the problem.
I tried integration by parts with both ##u = x^2, dv = J_0 dx## and ##u = J_0, du = -J_1 dx, dv = x^2 dx.## But neither gets me in a very good place at all. With the first, I begin to get integrals within integrals, and with the second my powers of ##x## in the integral would keep growing instead of getting smaller.

The book's answer is ##x^2J_1(x) + xJ_1(x) - \int J_0(x)dx + C.## (BTW the book is Elementary DE by Edwards and Penney)

How do I get to that? I appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry - I have solved it.

I gave the wrong identities - these are more directly useful: ##\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(x^pJ_p(x)\right) = x^pJ_{p-1}(x)## and ##\dfrac{d}{dx}\left(x^{-p}J_p(x)\right) = -x^{-p}J_{p+1}(x).## (Although, the identities I gave are attained simply by carrying out the differentiations here!)

With ##p=1,## we have
$$\dfrac{d}{dx}(xJ_1) = xJ_0\implies \int xJ_0 dx = xJ_1.$$
Then the integration by parts is better carried out with ##u=x, du=dx, dv=xJ_0dx, v=xJ_1##:
$$\int x^2J_0 dx = x^2J_1 - \int xJ_1dx.$$
Then with ##p=0,## we have
$$\dfrac{d}{dx}J_0 = -J_1\implies \int J_1dx = -J_0.$$
Integration by parts again: ##u=x, du=dx, dv=J_1dx, v=-J_0##:
$$\int x^2J_0dx = x^2J_1 + xJ_0 - \int J_0 dx,$$
as desired.
(Sorry that was a typo in the original post.)

1. What is a Bessel function integral?

A Bessel function integral is a mathematical function that is used to solve problems in many areas of science and engineering. It is named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is defined as an integral of a Bessel function over a specified range.

2. Why is reducing Bessel function integral important?

Reducing Bessel function integral is important because it simplifies complex mathematical equations and makes them easier to solve. It also allows for more efficient and accurate calculations in various scientific and engineering applications.

3. How is Bessel function integral reduced?

Bessel function integral can be reduced by using various mathematical techniques such as integration by parts, substitution, and series expansion. These techniques help to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

4. What are some applications of reducing Bessel function integral?

Reducing Bessel function integral has many applications in science and engineering, including signal processing, electromagnetic theory, and fluid dynamics. It is also used in the study of wave phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic waves.

5. Are there any limitations to reducing Bessel function integral?

While reducing Bessel function integral can simplify complex equations, it may not always provide an exact solution. In some cases, approximations may need to be made in order to reduce the integral. Additionally, the reduction process may become more complicated for higher-order Bessel functions.