Internet Malfunction: Download Errors Explained

• Thread starter ForMyThunder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Internet
In summary, the user is having trouble downloading files from different websites. The problem seems to be with their antivirus software, which is preventing them from successfully downloading the files.
ForMyThunder
I can't seem to download anything. I'm using IE and I'm trying to download Chrome but there's always a corruption error and the same thing happens when I try to download Mozilla. It's also happened when I tried to download dev c++ and I have no idea what is going on. Pleeeeeaaaase help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
It's not fully downloading the files by the sound of it.

Some browsers are set to clear the cache on close - mine is - and if I close the browser whilst the download is in progress or if I set the download to run automatically and then close the browser, it will delete the file and try to run it generating an error.

Can you give more details?

What version of IE do you have?

I have IE 8.

I tried downloading the file multiple times... like 10 or 12. Same thing every time.

Right, humour me for a bit:

1. Download a file.

2. Do NOT close the browser.

3. Open the file.

4. Report back the error.

Yea, give us the exact error, word for word that is coming up. And your operating system.

Yeah sure:

Download error. The download file failed verification. Error code = 0x80040204

Right, a quick google solved it.

Disable your anti-virus and firewall and try again.

The error code is regarding your anti-virus / firewall software interfering. All reports are to disable them and try again and it will work.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=4206bb5e071f23b3&hl=en

Firewall down, antivirus off. Same message.

ForMyThunder said:
Firewall down, antivirus off. Same message.

Completely disabled? If you read through that link you need it all off - some parts may remain active.

Will definitely require a restart - I'd recommend you boot into safe mode and try that. There shouldn't be AV running then.

Does this happen for all files, just executables, or just the two browser installers?

Something that might be related: I read somewhere that some antivirus software will block you from downloading Chrome.
But if you've already disabled your AV and/or the error shows up for other downloads, then that's not it.

It could also be adware/malware, but...what virus scanner are you using?

Okay, so I tried disabling my Nod32 antivirus again and downloaded chrome no problem. Not sure what I did different but it worked. I guess it was the antivirus though. Thanks!

ForMyThunder said:
Okay, so I tried disabling my Nod32 antivirus again and downloaded chrome no problem. Not sure what I did different but it worked. I guess it was the antivirus though. Thanks!

As per the articles I posted earlier, the AV software is causing some big problems.

Glad it's fixed now. Told you it's sneaky and keeps something running in the background even when you think it's gone... :wink:

ForMyThunder said:

Ugh, that Nod32. It can be a pain, but when it works, it does its job well. Same with COMODO, can be a severe pain in the *** but when it works, it works.

Related to Internet Malfunction: Download Errors Explained

1. What is an internet malfunction?

An internet malfunction is any problem or issue that occurs while using the internet. This can include slow loading times, error messages, or complete outages.

2. What are download errors?

Download errors are issues that occur when trying to download a file or data from the internet. This can include interruptions, failed downloads, or corrupted files.

3. What causes internet malfunctions and download errors?

There are several potential causes for internet malfunctions and download errors. These can include network issues, server problems, hardware or software malfunctions, or user error.

4. How can I fix internet malfunctions and download errors?

The first step to fixing internet malfunctions and download errors is to identify the cause. This may involve troubleshooting your internet connection, checking for updates to your hardware and software, or contacting your internet service provider for assistance.

5. How can I prevent internet malfunctions and download errors?

To prevent internet malfunctions and download errors, make sure to regularly update your hardware and software, use a reliable internet connection, and be cautious when downloading files from unknown sources. It is also helpful to regularly clear your cache and cookies to prevent any potential conflicts.