Microscope objective and eyepiece focal lengths

In summary, the problem involves calculating the focal length of a microscope's eyepiece and objective lens, as well as determining the position of the object for a relaxed eye to view it in focus. The equations used include M = m(objective) * m(eyepiece) = f(objective) / f(eyepiece), length = f(objective) + f(eyepiece), and m(eyepiece) = N / f(eyepiece), where N is the near point (25cm for normal naked human vision). The concept of a 'relaxed eye' means that the image being viewed is at infinity, while the near point refers to viewing the image at 25cm.
grouper

Homework Statement

A microscope has a 13.0 x eyepiece and a 57.0 x objective lens 20.0 cm apart. Calculate the focal length of each lens. Where the object must be for a normal relaxed eye to see it in focus?

Homework Equations

M=m(objective)*m(eyepiece)=f(objective)/f(eyepiece)

length=f(objective)+f(eyepiece)

with a relaxed eye m(eyepiece)=N/f(eyepiece) where N=near point (25 cm for normal naked human vision)

M≈(N*l)/[f(eyepiece)*f(objective)]

m(objective)=[l-f(eyepiece)]/do where do=distance of the object from the objective and l=length (distance between lenses)

The Attempt at a Solution

We had a similar problem where you could use f(objective)=length-f(eyepiece) to get M(tot)=[length-f(eyepiece)]/f(eyepiece) to determine the focal length of the eyepiece, but that does not work on this problem for some reason. All of the other equations I know of involving either focal length contain unknown variables and I can't find a way to get rid of those unknowns.

Also, I'm a little lost conceptually on the ideas of near points and relaxed vision. The problems we have had so far dealing with those concepts I have gotten lucky on but it would be nice to visualize and understand what I'm plugging in and why when I'm dealing with a "relaxed eye" situation.

Thanks for the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I will have a go at this soon.
A 'relaxed eye' means that the image being viewed is at infinity...most comfortable for the eye.
Near point means what you have already stated, the image is viewed at 25cm for the average eye, this means greater magnification but there is strain on the eye muscles.

1. What is the difference between the objective and eyepiece focal lengths?

The objective focal length refers to the distance between the objective lens and the focal plane, where the image of the specimen is formed. The eyepiece focal length, on the other hand, refers to the distance between the eyepiece lens and the focal plane, where the image created by the objective lens is magnified for viewing.

2. How do the focal lengths affect the magnification of a microscope?

The magnification of a microscope is determined by the ratio of the objective focal length to the eyepiece focal length. This means that the longer the objective focal length and the shorter the eyepiece focal length, the higher the magnification.

3. Can I change the focal lengths of the objective and eyepiece?

No, the focal lengths of the objective and eyepiece are fixed and cannot be changed. However, you can use different objective lenses with varying focal lengths to achieve different levels of magnification.

4. Does the quality of the objective and eyepiece lenses affect the focal lengths?

No, the focal lengths of the lenses are determined by their shape and curvature, not their quality. However, higher quality lenses may produce clearer and sharper images due to their superior design and construction.

5. Why is it important to know the focal lengths of the objective and eyepiece?

Knowing the focal lengths is important for calculating the magnification of a microscope and determining the appropriate objective lens for a specific specimen or level of magnification. It also helps in understanding the working principle of a microscope and how the images are formed.