Convolution of delta function

In summary, if you have a function f(t) and a delta function d(t), y(t)=integration from -infinity to +infinity (f(tau)delta(tau)x(t-tau)d(tau)).
zai
for linear time invariant system,
y(t)=h(t)*x(t) where y(t) is the output , x(t) is the input and h(t) is the impulse response.(* is the convolution)

The definition of convolution is
y(t)=integration from -infinity to +infinity (h(tau)x(t-tau)d(tau)

p/s: i don't know how to use mathematical equation inhere. just joining the group

i know that if h(t) =delta(t) then y(t)=x(t).

now here comes my confusion, if h(t)=f(t)delta(t), then what is y(t)?
can anybody give me any ideas?

thanks for the help.

zai

Engineering news on Phys.org
DefaultName said:
Use the convolution property. If you have functions 1, 2, and 3:

1 * (2 * 3) = (1 * 2) * 3

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/e/2/5/e2500afa2d6c138445991bbec0666787.png

Thank you for the reply. For this particular property i knew it already. my question is if
f(t)=[x(t).y(t)]*z(t) and y(t) is a delta function. How do i solve this problem?

Zai

zai said:
Thank you for the reply. For this particular property i knew it already. my question is if
f(t)=[x(t).y(t)]*z(t) and y(t) is a delta function. How do i solve this problem?

Zai
What happens when you multiply a function by a delta function?

What is [tex] x(t)\delta(t) [/tex] equal to? Thinking about this graphically may help.

if delta(t) = 1 for t = 0,1,2,3 and 0 for else
then,
you get x(t) for t = 0,1,2,3 which is also a delta(t) function.

FrogPad said:
What happens when you multiply a function by a delta function?

What is [tex] x(t)\delta(t) [/tex] equal to? Thinking about this graphically may help.

Dear Frogpad,
thank you for the reply. As far as i know if [tex] x(t)\delta(t) [/tex], the answer is x(t) at t=0, i.e x(0). isn't it? So, do we need to consider x(0) as a constant convolve with z(t) then? it doesn't seem right to me.

zai

Hi Zai,

I'm a bit late with my answer.

"i know that if h(t) =delta(t) then y(t)=x(t)."
Actually it is x(0) because of one of the delta function properties:

integration from -infinity to +infinity (delta(t-tau)f(t)dt) = f(tau).

Convolution of a function f(t) with a delta distribution moves the function to the point (in time) where the delta impulse takes place.

I guess your hole integration becomes:
y(t)=integration from -infinity to +infinity (f(tau)delta(tau)x(t-tau)d(tau)

You could use the product rule of integration and use the convention that the integral over the delta distribution is the Heaviside Step function Theta.

Now you have:
Theta(tau) f(tau) x(t-tau) - int(Theta(tau) [f(tau)x(t-tau)]' d tau
where ' is the derivative. Usually the derivative of f(tau)x(t-tau) should be easily to obtain by product rule again.

You could also use the Laplace transform and your convolution becomes a multiplication. There are tables with often used formulas and possibly you can find one with f(t) delta(t). Afterward you have to transform it back in the time domain again.

1. What is a delta function?

A delta function, also known as the Dirac delta function, is a mathematical function that is used to describe a point mass or spike in a signal. It is defined as having a value of 0 everywhere except at one point, where it has an infinite value, and has an integral of 1 over its domain.

2. What is the convolution of a delta function?

The convolution of a delta function is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying a function by a shifted and scaled version of the delta function, and then integrating over the entire domain. This operation is used to describe the effect of a point input on a system or signal.

3. How is the convolution of a delta function used in signal processing?

In signal processing, the convolution of a delta function is used to model the response of a system to a point input. This allows us to understand how a system will behave when a sudden spike or impulse is introduced, and is useful for analyzing and designing filters and other systems.

4. Can the convolution of a delta function be used with other functions?

Yes, the convolution of a delta function can be used with any other function. This allows us to model the response of a system to any type of input, not just a point input. It is also a useful tool in solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.

5. What are some real-world applications of the convolution of a delta function?

The convolution of a delta function has many practical applications, such as in image processing, where it is used to sharpen or blur images. It is also used in audio signal processing to model the response of speakers or microphones to sudden impulses. Additionally, it is used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to analyze and design systems and solve mathematical problems.