How does it feel like to be a physics professor?

In summary, the conversation discusses the experience of being a physics professor and the path one needs to take to become one. It is mentioned that a masters degree is required to teach at a 2-year college, while a PhD is needed for a 4-year college or university. Postdoctoral experience may also be expected before applying for a faculty position. The daily tasks of a physics professor include teaching, research, writing papers and grant applications, and serving on committees. The amount of teaching and research required may vary depending on the type of institution. Finally, it is mentioned that finding a job as a physics professor involves sending a resume and CV to universities, but the process can be competitive.
T.O.E Dream
Hello, I haven't posted in some time but I've got a question.

How does it feel like to be a physics professor?
What do you do throughout the day?
How much flexibility do you have as one?
How much do you have to teach and how much can you research?
Also, can you chose what you want to research on?
And finally, how do you become one?

Thanks for your time!

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the last one involves finding a university that is hiring and then sending off your resume and CV... insert magic... and boom, you still didn't get hired because all the departments are broke.

At least around here :rofl:

Well, I meant what path does one need to take? Like education, experience...

You'll need a masters degree to teach at the 2-year college (community, technical) level and a PhD to teach at a 4-year college or university. Most colleges will also expect you to have completed at least one postdoc (~2-3 year research job after your PhD) before applying for a faculty job, but not all schools will require this.

I'm in (hopefully) the last year of my PhD and starting to look for a job. My professors spend their time teaching classes, advising grad students (and sometimes undergrad), doing research, writing papers and grant applications, and serving on committees for the department and college. At a large research university, you may only be expected to teach 1 class a semester. At a liberal arts college, you might teach 2-3 classes a semester and won't be expected to do as much research. A community college might have you teaching 5 classes a semester and they don't care if you do research at all.

1. What inspired you to become a physics professor?

I have always been fascinated by the laws and principles that govern our universe. As I delved deeper into the subject, I realized that I wanted to share my passion and knowledge with others, and becoming a physics professor seemed like the perfect way to do so.

2. What is a typical day like for a physics professor?

A typical day for a physics professor involves teaching classes, preparing lectures and assignments, conducting research, and mentoring students. It can also involve attending meetings, conferences, and collaborating with other scientists.

3. What is the most challenging aspect of being a physics professor?

The most challenging aspect of being a physics professor is balancing all the different responsibilities, such as teaching, research, and administrative tasks. It can also be challenging to keep up with the constantly evolving field of physics.

4. What do you enjoy the most about being a physics professor?

I enjoy the opportunity to continually learn and grow, both as a scientist and as a teacher. I also love being able to share my knowledge and passion for physics with students and seeing them develop their own understanding and appreciation for the subject.

5. How do you think being a physics professor has impacted your life?

Becoming a physics professor has greatly impacted my life by allowing me to pursue my passion for science and education. It has also opened up opportunities for collaboration and networking with other scientists and researchers. Additionally, being a physics professor has allowed me to constantly challenge myself and continue learning and growing in my field.