Radiation - solving for Q - Stefan-Boltzmann law

In summary, the person standing outdoors in the shade, with a temperature of 27°C, would absorb 625.86 J/s of radiant energy per second if their head was covered with hair with an emissivity of 0.85. If the person were bald and the emissivity of their head was 0.66, they would absorb 485.96 J/s of radiant energy per second. However, in the attempt at a solution, the surface area of the hair was incorrectly assumed to be 1.6 m² instead of the correct value of 0.0016 m², resulting in incorrect answers. By correcting this error and properly converting the temperature to Kelvin, the correct answers were obtained.
sportzmaniac

Homework Statement

A person is standing outdoors in the shade where the temperature is 27°C.
(a) What is the radiant energy absorbed per second by his head when it is covered with hair? The surface area of the hair (assumed to be flat) is 160 cm2 and its emissivity is 0.85.

(b) What would be the radiant energy absorbed per second by the same person if he were bald and the emissivity of his head were 0.66?

e = .85 for a, .66 for b
sigma = 5.67*10^-8
A = 1.6m squared
T = 300.15K (27 + 273.15)

Homework Equations

q = e*sigma*T^4*A*t

The Attempt at a Solution

By plugging in the known variables, I got

Q/(1 sec) = .85*(5.67x10^-8)*((300.15) ^4)*1.6m squared

Q =625.86 J/s

Q/(1 sec) = .66*(5.67x10^-8)*((300.15) ^4)*1.6m squared

Q = 485.96 J/s

I was told by webassign these answers were wrong. Am I not solving just for Q here? I can't think of any other way besides solving for Q. Also, I'm not sure on the temperature. Do I just take the 27 and convert to kelvin or do I have to do something else? thanks in advance for the help

Physics news on Phys.org
A meter squared is 100 cm by 100 cm = 10 000 cm².
So 160 cm² is not 1.6 m².

Delphi51 said:
A meter squared is 100 cm by 100 cm = 10 000 cm².
So 160 cm² is not 1.6 m².

thank you. By converting it right I got the right answer

What is radiation?

Radiation is the transfer of energy through electromagnetic waves or particles. It can occur naturally, such as from the sun or other stars, or it can be man-made, like in the form of X-rays or microwaves.

How is radiation measured?

Radiation is measured using various units, depending on the type and strength of the radiation. For example, ionizing radiation is measured in units of Becquerels (Bq) or Curie (Ci), while non-ionizing radiation is measured in units of Watts per square meter (W/m2).

What is the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law is a physical law that describes the relationship between the radiation emitted by a blackbody (an ideal object that absorbs all radiation) and its temperature. It states that the total energy radiated by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

How can the Stefan-Boltzmann law be used to solve for Q?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law can be used to calculate the total energy (Q) emitted by a blackbody at a given temperature. The equation is Q = σAT4, where σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant (5.67 x 10-8 W/m2K4), A is the surface area of the blackbody, and T is the absolute temperature in Kelvin.

What are some real-world applications of the Stefan-Boltzmann law?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law has many applications in various fields, including astronomy, thermodynamics, and engineering. It is used to study the temperature and energy of stars, to design and improve thermal insulation materials, and to calculate the heat transfer in industrial processes, among others.