Pulley, Moment of inertia, and acceleration

In summary, the mass of .375kg hanging from a string wrapped around a pulley with a moment of inertia of .0125 kg*m^2 and a radius of .26m has an acceleration of 6.57m/s^2 when released. The formula used to calculate this acceleration is a = W/{m + I/R^2}, where W is the weight of the mass, m is the mass, I is the moment of inertia, and R is the radius of the cylinder. ~~~
dalitwil
A mass of .375kg hangs from a string that is wrapped around the circumference of a pulley with the moment of inertia = .0125 kg*m^2 and a radius of .26m. When the mass is released, the mass accelerates downward and the pulley rotates about its axis as the string unwinds. What is the acceleration of the mass??

I have been using a=rF/mr^2, with my F=mg. The correct answer is 6.57m/s^2, but i can't seem to figure out why.

No rush on answering, the question is from a practice exam I am studying.

Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
dalitwil said:
A mass of .375kg hangs from a string that is wrapped around the circumference of a pulley with the moment of inertia = .0125 kg*m^2 and a radius of .26m. When the mass is released, the mass accelerates downward and the pulley rotates about its axis as the string unwinds. What is the acceleration of the mass??
The correct answer is 6.57m/s^2, but i can't seem to figure out why.
From the problem statement:
{String Tension} = S
{Mass of Suspended Entity} = m = (0.375 kg)
{Weight of Mass} = W = (0.375 kg)*(9.81 m/sec^2) = (3.6788 N)
{Cylinder Radius} = R = (0.26 m)
{Cylinder Moment of Inertia} = I = (0.0125 kg*m^2)

For the suspended entity:
{Net Force} = ma =
= W - S
::: ⇒ S = W - ma ::: Eq #1

For the cylinder:
{Net Torque} = Iα = I*a/R =
= S*R
::: ⇒ S = I*a/R^2 ::: Eq #2

Equating Eq #1 and Eq #2:
W - ma = I*a/R^2
::: ⇒ a = W/{m + I/R^2}
::: ⇒ a = (3.6788 N)/{(0.375 kg) + (0.0125 kg*m^2)/(0.26 m)^2}
::: ⇒ a = (6.5702 m/sec^2)

~~

The equation you are using, a=rF/mr^2, is the correct equation to use in this situation. However, it is important to make sure that all of the units are consistent in order to get the correct answer. In this case, the mass is given in kilograms and the radius is given in meters, but the moment of inertia is given in kg*m^2. To use this equation, we need to convert the moment of inertia to the same units as the mass and radius.

To do this, we can use the equation I=mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the radius. Plugging in the values given, we get I=0.375kg*0.26m^2=0.0975 kg*m^2. Now, we can use this value for the moment of inertia in the equation a=rF/mr^2.

Substituting in the values for F=mg and the converted moment of inertia, we get a=(0.26m*0.375kg*9.8m/s^2)/(0.0975 kg*m^2*0.26m^2)=6.57m/s^2.

So, the reason why you were not getting the correct answer is because the units for the moment of inertia were not consistent with the units for the mass and radius. By converting the moment of inertia to the same units, we get the correct answer of 6.57m/s^2 for the acceleration of the mass.

1. What is a pulley and how does it work?

A pulley is a simple machine that is used to change the direction of a force. It consists of a wheel with a groove around its circumference, and a rope or cable that is wrapped around the wheel. When a force is applied to one end of the rope, the other end moves in the opposite direction. This allows for the lifting of heavy objects with less force.

2. How does the moment of inertia affect the motion of an object?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. The higher the moment of inertia, the more force is required to accelerate or decelerate the object. This is because the object has more mass distributed farther from its axis of rotation, making it harder to change its rotational speed.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of an object?

The moment of inertia is affected by the object's mass and its distribution, as well as the axis of rotation. The farther the mass is from the axis of rotation, the higher the moment of inertia will be. Additionally, the shape of the object also plays a role in its moment of inertia.

4. How does a pulley system affect the acceleration of an object?

In a pulley system, the acceleration of an object is affected by the number of pulleys and the arrangement of the ropes or cables. In an ideal pulley system with no friction, the acceleration of the object will be equal to the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). However, in real-world scenarios with friction, the acceleration will be slightly less than this.

5. Can the moment of inertia of an object be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of an object can be changed by altering the distribution of its mass or changing the object's shape. For example, a figure skater can spin faster by pulling their arms closer to their body, reducing their moment of inertia. This is known as the conservation of angular momentum.