What is the current value of the scale factor?

In summary: Actually, the name change is important because it allows us to use the same equation for different times. For example, we could have a situation where the scale factor changes over time. But by always using the same name for the scale factor, we can still use the same equation.
I_wonder
Do cosmologists know what is the current value of the scale factor? I know we have a current value for the Hubble constant H, and I know H=a'/a. But what about the value of a?

Thanks!

Space news on Phys.org
cristo said:
Usually, the scale factor is normalised so that it takes the value a(t_0)=1 at present times. See this thread https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=222284, for example.

What is the current value of the scale factor(R₀)?

a= R(t)/R₀

Give me the number.

Thanks

R0= 1, which is a dimensionless number. Why? Because I define it as 1. I can define it as any present number I want to, and it will not change the physics. I can arbitrarily define R at one time only; the value at all other times will scale with my choice of R at the single time I selected.

Last edited:
Yeah, the scale factor is traditionally set to unity at the current time. In other words, a(t=2011 A.D.) = 1. Then you can apply the cosmology of your choice (e.g. flat universe with cosmological constant) and answer questions such as how old was the universe when things were 1000 times closer together: a(time in past) / a (now) = 1 / 1000 and solve for the time in the past.

BillSaltLake said:
R0= 1, which is a dimensionless number. Why? Because I define it as 1. I can define it as any present number I want to, and it will not change the physics. I can arbitrarily define R at one time only; the value at all other times will scale with my choice of R at the single time I selected.

Thanks, but here appears another question. So why do we define a=R/R0 at all, when R0=1? It means a(t)=R(t), and it is just changing names, isn't it?!

1. What is the scale factor?

The scale factor, also known as the cosmological scale factor, is a dimensionless quantity that represents the relative expansion or contraction of the universe over time. It is a key parameter in the study of cosmology and is used to measure the expansion rate of the universe.

2. How is the scale factor measured?

The scale factor is usually measured using redshift data from distant galaxies. Redshift is a phenomenon where light from an object is stretched to longer wavelengths as it travels through expanding space. This stretching can be used to calculate the scale factor at a given point in time.

3. What is the current value of the scale factor?

The current value of the scale factor is approximately 1. This means that the universe is not currently expanding or contracting, but instead is in a state of equilibrium. However, the scale factor has varied over time and was much smaller in the past and is predicted to continue to increase in the future.

4. What factors affect the value of the scale factor?

The value of the scale factor is affected by several factors, including the density of matter and energy in the universe, the presence of dark energy, and the overall geometry of the universe. These factors can influence the expansion rate of the universe and, therefore, the value of the scale factor.

5. Why is the scale factor important?

The scale factor is essential in understanding the evolution and structure of the universe. It provides a way to measure the expansion rate of the universe and can help us understand the underlying physics and processes that govern the universe's behavior. It also plays a crucial role in various theories and models of the universe, such as the Big Bang theory and the inflationary model.