What is wrong with my derivation for the moment of inertia of a sphere?

In summary, the conversation involved a person sharing their derivation for the moment of inertia of a sphere, but their answer did not match the accepted value. After further discussion, it was realized that the incorrect factor of (2/3) was missing in their original equation for dI, leading to the incorrect answer. The correct moment of inertia for a thin spherical shell is (2/3)MR^2, not MR^2.
eg2333
Ok, so I thought about a derivation for the moment of inertia, but my answer comes out to (3/5)MR^2

Basically, what I did was I considered the sphere as a sum of infinitesimally thin spherical shells.

The moment of inertia for one shell is dI=(r^2)*dm

where dm=(M/V)*4*pi*r^2*dr

where V=(4/3)*pi*R^3

so the equation dI=3*pi*M*r^4*dr when simplified.

Integrating this from 0 to R (Summing up the spherical shells from the center to the edge of the big sphere) gives me (3/5)*M*R^2. What is wrong with this derivation? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
According to wikipedia, moment of inertia for a spherical shell is 2/3 M R^2 , not what you use.

It is actually (2/5)*MR^2 for a sphere. The method I used clearly gives the incorrect answer, which is why I'm asking to see if anyone can tell me where the fault is.

Nabeshin isn't talking about the sphere, but a spherical shell. As I just said in your identical thread,

"The moment of inertia of a thin shell is (2/3)MR^2, not MR^2, so your original dI should be (2/3)r^2 dm - there's your missing factor of 2/3. "

Mute said:
Nabeshin isn't talking about the sphere, but a spherical shell. As I just said in your identical thread,

"The moment of inertia of a thin shell is (2/3)MR^2, not MR^2, so your original dI should be (2/3)r^2 dm - there's your missing factor of 2/3. "

Thanks for spelling that out, apparently I wasn't clear enough.

1. What is moment of inertia and why is it important?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is important in understanding how an object will behave when subjected to rotational forces or when rotating on an axis.

2. What is the correct derivation for the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The correct derivation for the moment of inertia of a sphere is I = (2/5)MR^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the sphere, and R is the radius of the sphere. This can be derived using the parallel axis theorem and the definition of the moment of inertia.

3. Why is my derivation for the moment of inertia of a sphere incorrect?

There are several possible reasons why your derivation for the moment of inertia of a sphere may be incorrect. Some common mistakes include using the incorrect formula, failing to account for the shape and distribution of mass within the sphere, or not considering the correct axis of rotation.

4. Can the moment of inertia of a sphere be calculated using calculus?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a sphere can be calculated using calculus. This involves integrating the mass of the sphere over its entire volume, taking into account the distance from the axis of rotation for each infinitesimal element of mass.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the moment of inertia of a sphere?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the moment of inertia of a sphere. These include the density and distribution of mass within the sphere, as well as any external forces acting on the sphere. Additionally, the shape and size of the sphere can also impact its moment of inertia.