How does hot-rolling and thickness affect the resulting microstructure in steel?

• Thread starter RPI_Quantum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steel
In summary, hot rolling causes large grains to elongate and then recrystallize into smaller grains. The austenitizing process at 860 C produces pearlite and some bainite, depending on the cooling rate. Water quenching is assumed to be extremely fast, resulting in martensite. Slow cooling would result in coarse pearlite. Controlled rolling creates fine grains, which provide increased strength. The transformation to a two-phase structure is a key factor in hot-rolling. The temperature and quench rate determine the resulting microstructure, with slower cooling resulting in ferrite-cementite structures and rapid cooling resulting in martensite. The time at temperature also plays a role in the formation of the microstructure. The
RPI_Quantum
I am trying to answer a question using the TTT diagram of steel that is given to me in my text. I know how to use the diagram, but the book assumes some prior technical knowledge of steel. It gives the information that the steel samples are 0.3 mm thick hot-rolled strips of 1080 steel, and then it gives me a heat-treating schedule and asks me to determine the final microstructure. I know that 1080 means 0.8% C, but I do not know if the thickness or hot-rolling affect the resulting microstructure. Initially, the sample is held at 860 C for an hour.

Any help would be appreciated. I am not looking for an answer or tutorial on the TTT, but if someone can explain to me if and how hot-rolling and thickness affect microstructure.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
No one can give me any help at all?

Hot rolling causes large grains to elongate, and then the elongated grains recrystallize to form smaller grains.

860°C takes the 1080 up to the austenitic region of the phase diagram. Cooling produces pearlite and some bainite - but that depends on cooling rate and to what temperature the steel is cooled slowly before quenching or more rapid cooling.

Slow cooling would give coarse pearlite.

After the austenitizing at 860 C, it is water quenched- it does not give a specific cooling rate. I am guessing that in this case, the quench is assumed to be extremely fast resulting in martensite?

There is a good discussion of 1080 in ASM's Specialty Hanbook "Carbon and Alloy Steels". To what temperature is the 1080 quenched - below the Martensitic temperature?

I read some more material on heat treatments of simple carbon steels. Although I am not familiar with quench rates, I imagine that a water quench is perhaps sufficiently 'rapid' to cause martensite to develop.

Slower quenching would produce a ferrite-cementite combination, with either a pearlite structure or a bainite structure.

According to the handbook on Carbon and Alloy Steels, "hot rolling is done in the austenite region, and because of large sections and equipment design, the austenite transforms to microstructures of ferrite and pearlite. In controlled rolling, that is a controlled thermo-mechanical process, the key is the formation of fine austenite grains which transform to fine ferrite grains upon cooling. The fine grains provide for increased strength.

With thin sections, rapid quenching would presumably martensite.

Thanks, that was very helpful. That hot-rolling causes a transformation to a two-phase structure was the key. I am not sure I understand the exact mechanism behind this transformation, but I do know that once pearlite forms it cannot be transformed to martensite without being re-austenized.

Though I am not perfectly clear on this, I now know where to look (the handbook you mentioned). Thanks a lot!

Rolling, hot or cold, produces dislocations in the metal crystal structure and grain deformation. The hot working should have a lower dislocation density since the dislocations can glide more easily. Hot worked material usually has finer grain structure than cold-worked material, although cold-worked material with elongated grains can be annealed, i.e. recrystallized, in which dislocation networks form new grain boundaries. I am more familiar with HCP materials than FCC materials.

Anyway, the issue of pearlite/bainite vs martensite has to do with temperature and quench rate. The particular microstructure has a threshold for stability. The pearlite/bainite temperature range sits between the austenite and martensite regions, so that if one quenches (cools) slowly one will form pearlite or bainite, depending on the hold temperature, or if one cools rapidly below the martensitic temperature, then martensite develops.

The time at temperature also has an effect because it the temperature dependent diffusion of Carbon that affects the microstructure.

1. What is hot-rolled steel?

Hot-rolled steel is a type of steel that is made by rolling heated steel through a series of rollers to form it into a desired shape and size. This process makes the steel more malleable and easier to work with compared to cold-rolled steel.

2. What are the advantages of hot-rolled steel?

One of the main advantages of hot-rolled steel is its strength and durability. The heating and rolling process makes it less brittle and able to withstand high levels of stress. It is also more cost-effective and efficient to produce compared to other types of steel.

3. How is hot-rolled steel used?

Hot-rolled steel is used in a variety of industries, including construction, automotive, and manufacturing. It can be used to make beams, frames, pipes, and other structural components. It is also commonly used in the production of cars, trucks, and other vehicles.

4. What are the differences between hot-rolled steel and cold-rolled steel?

Hot-rolled steel is produced at high temperatures, while cold-rolled steel is produced at room temperature. This affects the strength and malleability of the steel. Hot-rolled steel is also less precise and has a rougher surface compared to cold-rolled steel.

5. Is hot-rolled steel environmentally friendly?

Hot-rolled steel production can have a negative impact on the environment due to the high energy consumption and carbon emissions involved. However, advancements in technology have made the process more efficient and some companies are implementing sustainable practices in the production of hot-rolled steel.