Calculating Wavelength of Emitted Radiation in Carbon Monoxide Molecule

• Thread starter v_pino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molecules
The energy difference between these two states is 2.0 x 10^-22 J. Using the equation E=hc/lambda, the wavelength of the emitted radiation is 2.6 mm. In summary, the molecular bond between carbon and oxygen atoms in a carbon monoxide molecule can be treated as a spring with elastic constant k. The carbon and oxygen atoms have masses of 12 amu and 16 amu, respectively, and the average separation between the nuclei is 1.4x10^-10m. When the molecule transitions from the first excited rotational state (l=1) to the ground state (l=0), the emitted radiation has a wavelength of 2.6 mm. This can be calculated using
v_pino

Homework Statement

The molecular bond between the carbon and oxygen atoms in the diatomic carbon monoxide molecule can be treated as a spring with elastic constant k. The carbon atom has a mass of 12 amu and the oxygen atom has a mass of 16 amu, and the average separation of the two nuclei in the carbon monoxide molecule is 1.4x10^-10m.

A carbon monoxide molecule makes a transition from the first excited rotational state to the ground state. What is the wavelength of the emitted radiation?

Homework Equations

E = l(l+1)h_bar^2 / 2I

E = energy
l = quantum number
h_bar = Plancks constant / 2*pi
I = moment of inertia

E = hc/lambda

h = placks constant
c = speed of light in vacuum
lambda = wavelength

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the moment of inertia I in a previous part of the question and it is correct.

I = 2.23 x 10^-46 kgm^2

I assumed that ground state means that l=0 and first excited state means that l=1. I calculated the energy difference between these two states. Then calculated the debroglie wavelength. But I didn't get the correct answer.

Correct answer should be : 2.6 mm

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, l=0 is the ground state & l=1 is the excited state.

1. How do you calculate the wavelength of emitted radiation in a carbon monoxide molecule?

To calculate the wavelength of emitted radiation in a carbon monoxide molecule, you will need to use the formula λ = hc/E, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and E is the energy of the emitted radiation. The energy can be calculated using the equation E = (h*c)/λ. By plugging in the values for h, c, and E, you can solve for the wavelength.

2. What is the energy of the emitted radiation in a carbon monoxide molecule?

The energy of the emitted radiation in a carbon monoxide molecule can be calculated using the equation E = (h*c)/λ, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength. The units for energy are joules (J).

3. Why is it important to calculate the wavelength of emitted radiation in a carbon monoxide molecule?

Calculating the wavelength of emitted radiation in a carbon monoxide molecule is important because it can provide valuable information about the molecule's structure and behavior. This information can be used to better understand the molecule's properties and how it interacts with its surroundings.

4. How does the wavelength of emitted radiation in a carbon monoxide molecule relate to its energy?

The wavelength and energy of emitted radiation in a carbon monoxide molecule are inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength decreases, the energy increases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation E = (h*c)/λ, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength.

5. Can the wavelength of emitted radiation in a carbon monoxide molecule be measured experimentally?

Yes, the wavelength of emitted radiation in a carbon monoxide molecule can be measured experimentally using techniques such as spectroscopy. By analyzing the light emitted by the molecule, scientists can determine the wavelength and use it to calculate other properties of the molecule.