Is this equation correct for all values of x?

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
In summary, the given equation, tan^{-1}|tan x| = |x|, is not correct for all permissible values of x because tangent is not a one-to-one function and can be negative for positive values of x.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Is this equation correct for permissible values of x

[itex]tan^{-1}|tan x| = |x|[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume LHS to be θ.
Then tanθ=|tanx|
The original equation becomes
[itex]tan^{-1}tan \theta = |x|[/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
hi utkarshakash! :smile:

(what do you mean by "permissible"? :confused:)

wouldn't it be easier to start by saying |tanx| = tan|x| ? :wink:

No, that is not correct because tangent is not a "one-to-one function". For example, if [itex]\theta= 5\pi/4[/itex] then [itex]tan(\theta)= tan(5\pi/4)= 1[/itex] so that [itex]tan^{-1}(tan(\theta))= tan^{-1}(tan(5\pi/4))= tan^{-1}(1)= \pi/4[/itex], not [itex]5\pi/4[/itex]. Since everything is positive, the absolute value is irrelevant.

tiny-tim said:
hi utkarshakash! :smile:

(what do you mean by "permissible"? :confused:)

wouldn't it be easier to start by saying |tanx| = tan|x| ? :wink:

Even if so, it is still wrong, as tangent can be negative for positive values of x. For instance, [itex]\tan(7\pi/4)=-1[/itex]. It is easy to observe from here that [itex]|\tan(7\pi/4)|\neq \tan|7\pi/4|[/itex], as [itex]1\neq-1[/itex].

Thanks all for your answers.

Another way to look at it is that atan(|y|) always produces a result in the range [0,pi/2). So the statement must be false for any |x| outside that range.

1. Is there a specific way to check if an equation is correct?

Yes, there are several steps you can take to verify the accuracy of an equation. First, make sure all units are consistent throughout the equation. Next, check that the mathematical operations are correct and follow the proper order of operations. Finally, plug in a few values to see if the equation gives the expected result.

2. Can I use any variables or numbers in an equation?

In most cases, yes. However, some equations may have specific restrictions or assumptions that you should follow for accurate results. Always check the context and assumptions of the equation before plugging in any values.

3. How do I know if an equation is appropriate for my experiment or study?

It is important to first understand the purpose and goals of your experiment or study. Then, carefully analyze the variables and relationships you are trying to investigate. If the equation accurately represents these relationships and aligns with your goals, then it is likely appropriate for your study. However, it is always recommended to consult with a more experienced scientist or researcher for additional guidance.

4. What should I do if I find an error in an equation?

If you have reason to believe that an equation is incorrect, it is important to thoroughly investigate and verify your findings before making any changes. You can also reach out to the original source or author of the equation for clarification or to report any errors.

5. Are there any online resources for checking the accuracy of equations?

Yes, there are several online tools and resources available for verifying the accuracy of equations. These include equation solvers, online calculators, and forums or communities where you can ask other scientists for their input. However, it is always advised to double check any results or information obtained from these sources.