What is the material that has the highest boiling point?

In summary, Me and a colleague are looking for the material with the highest boiling point for fun. Our evaporator claims to be able to evaporate anything since it can boil Wolfram/Tungsten. We are not experts in material physics but wonder if there is a material on Earth with an even higher boiling point, such as a ceramic material like those used on the space shuttle. Some suggestions for high boiling materials include carbides of zirconium, niobium, and tantalum, as well as Zircar (zirconia felt) which melts at nearly 5000C. Graphite and diamond may also be worth considering. However, it is important to be cautious when introducing new materials into the evaporator to avoid contamination
Nissen, Søren Rune
Me and a colleague are looking (Just for the fun of it) for the material which has the highest boiling point. Our evaporater, which we use to boil palladium, claims that since it can boil Wolfram/Tungsten, it can evaporate anything. Material physics like this is not my strong suit, but surely there must be a material on Earth that has a higher boiling point? Possibly some ceramic material like they use on the space shuttle?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not real familiar with e-beam evaporators (I'm guessing that's what you have), but do you keep the tunsten in a crucible ? If you do, then your crucible material probably is one solution.

In any case, here's an additional list for you to look through and double check :

Many carbides are very high melting and hence high boiling materials (particularly carbides of zirconium, niobium and tantalum). A reasonably new material known as Zircar (or zirconia felt) melts at nearly 5000C (this is possibly very close to that "highest boiling point" material that you are looking for). And not to leave out the obvious, check out graphite and diamond !

You do know that you can successfully evaporate a material without ever reaching the boiling point. All you need is sufficient vapor pressure at the working T,P.

As a cautionary note : it's not wise to put unwanted materials in your evaporator, just for the fun of it. Contamination could easily lead to the failure of every future material/device/sample that gets made in the same evaporator, because of a material incompatibility (accidental doping).

Last edited:
Rhenium has the highest boiling point of the elements - Boiling point [/K]: 5869 [or 5596 °C (10105 °F)] (liquid range: 2410 K)

www.webelements.com

Possibly one of the carbides has a slightly higher boiling point.

Gokul gives some good advice - be careful what you put in your equipment.

Usually one volatizes (or vaporize) high temperature materials in an inductively coupled plasma (ICP). There is nothing solid in which such material can be contained (since it has the highest boiling point). So such a state is transient, at least in earthly environments.

Gokul: Yes, it's a mini e-beam evaporator, an EGCO4.

And, obviously, the crucible is resistant. Answer right under my nose the whole time.

And I'm not going to put anything but palladium in the evaporator, I know of the contamination dangers. Also of the fact that you don't need to bring it to the boiling point. There's a bit of translation trouble there, "evaporate" and "boil" are pretty much synonyms in danish.

Thank you, both of you.

What is the material that has the highest boiling point?

The material with the highest boiling point is tungsten, which has a boiling point of 5,555°C or 10,031°F.

Why does tungsten have the highest boiling point?

Tungsten has the highest boiling point due to its strong metallic bonds and high melting point. These factors make it difficult for the molecules to escape and transition to a gas phase at high temperatures.

What other materials have high boiling points?

Other materials with high boiling points include carbon (3,500°C), titanium (3,160°C), rhenium (5,596°C), and tantalum (3,017°C).

Can the boiling point of a material be changed?

Yes, the boiling point of a material can be changed by altering the pressure or adding impurities. This can affect the strength of the bonds between molecules and therefore, the energy required for them to transition to a gas phase.

What is the practical application of knowing the boiling point of a material?

Knowing the boiling point of a material is important in various industries such as chemistry, engineering, and materials science. It can help in determining the best materials to use for specific applications, as well as in designing and improving processes that involve heating and cooling of materials.