Liquifaction of Nitrogen/Helium

• Thread starter avinash1968
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a short movie or animation related to the liquifaction of Nitrogen/Helium. They mention that big makers such as BOC and AirProducts may have some material, but they are specifically looking for an animation of gas molecules being cooled. The process is described as compressing gas, extracting waste heat, boiling off other constituents, and bottling and selling the resulting product.
avinash1968
Dear Friends,
I want to explain the liquifaction of Nitrogen/Helium. Does anyone has a short movie related to this? or can I download from some site.

Avinash1968

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean a video of it being manufactured - that is probably just going to show a lot of pipes and clouds of water vapour.
Big makers are BOC and AirProducts, they may have some material.
Or do you mean an animation of gas molecules being cooled - I don't have any but there probably are some on the net.

It's not very complicated, compress gas, extract waste heat, boil off the other consituents, bottle, sell.

mgb_phys said:
Do you mean a video of it being manufactured - that is probably just going to show a lot of pipes and clouds of water vapour.
Big makers are BOC and AirProducts, they may have some material.
Or do you mean an animation of gas molecules being cooled - I don't have any but there probably are some on the net.

It's not very complicated, compress gas, extract waste heat, boil off the other consituents, bottle, sell.

Thanks for your reply. I mean just an animated film and not the one with lot of pipes and clouds

1. What is liquifaction of nitrogen/helium?

Liquifaction of nitrogen/helium is the process of changing these gases from their gaseous state to a liquid state. This is achieved by cooling the gas to extremely low temperatures, typically below -320°F for nitrogen and -452°F for helium.

2. Why is liquifaction of nitrogen/helium important?

Liquifaction of nitrogen/helium is important because it allows these gases to be stored and transported more easily. In their gaseous state, nitrogen and helium take up a lot of space and are difficult to contain. In their liquid state, they are more dense and can be stored in smaller containers, making them more convenient to use in various applications.

3. What are some applications of liquifaction of nitrogen/helium?

There are many applications for liquifaction of nitrogen/helium, including cryopreservation (preserving biological materials at extremely low temperatures), cryotherapy (using extreme cold to treat medical conditions), and superconductivity (the ability of certain materials to conduct electricity with zero resistance at very low temperatures).

4. How is liquifaction of nitrogen/helium achieved?

Liquifaction of nitrogen/helium is achieved through a process called the Joule-Thomson effect, which involves expanding the gas through a small opening. This causes the gas to cool down due to the decrease in pressure, eventually reaching temperatures low enough for the gas to turn into a liquid.

5. Are there any risks associated with liquifaction of nitrogen/helium?

Yes, there are some risks associated with liquifaction of nitrogen/helium. These gases are extremely cold and can cause frostbite or severe burns if not handled properly. They can also displace oxygen and cause asphyxiation in enclosed spaces. It is important to follow proper safety procedures when working with these gases.