Finding B Using Cross Product in Magnetic Force Equation

In summary, the problem is to find the magnetic field B from the given equation F=q(v X B), where F is the magnetic force, q is the charge, v is the velocity, and B is the magnetic field. This problem is from exercise 1.4.16 in Arfken's Mathematical methods for physicists. By carrying out three experiments with different velocities and corresponding magnetic forces, it is possible to find the components of B. However, there seems to be a typo in the first experiment, as v_1 = i but (F/q)_1 = 2i - 4j, which means there is a component in the i direction even though v_1 does not have any component in the i direction.
proton

Homework Statement

find B from F=q(v X B), where F is magnetic force, q = charge, v = velocity, B = magnetic field.

Carrying out 3 experiments, we find that if
v_1 = i, (F/q)_1 = 2k - 4j
v_2 = j, (F/q)_2 = 4i - k
v_3 = k, (F/q)_3 = j - 2i

where i,j,k are the unit cartesian vectors

This is the problem 1.4.16 from Arfken's Mathematical methods for physicists

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried adding the v's and F's as follows:
[(v_1 X B)+ (v_2 X B) +(v_3 X B)] = - [(B X v_1)+ (B X v_2) +(B X v_3)] = -[B X (v_1 + v_2 + v_3)] = [(F/q)_1 + (F/q)_2 + (F/q)_3]
=> -[B X (i + j + k)] = [(2i - 4j) + (4i - k) + (j - 2i)] = 2i - 3j + k
=> [B X (i + j + k)] = -2i + 3j - k

multiplying out the cross product, I got: [B X (i + j + k)] = (B_y - B_z)i - (B_x - B_z)j + (B_x - B_y)i
=> B_y - B_z = -2
B_x - B_z = -3
B_x - B_y = -1

and this gives infinitely many solns for B_x, B_y, and B_z

is this correct? or did I screw up somewhere?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
proton said:
Carrying out 3 experiments, we find that if
v_1 = i, (F/q)_1 = 2i - 4j
Since v_1 = i, how can F_1 = q(v_1xB) have any component in the i direction?

typo on my part

come on, can't someone help me?

1. How is the cross product used to find B?

The cross product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors as input and outputs a new vector that is perpendicular to the original two vectors. In this case, we can use the cross product to find B by taking the cross product of two known vectors, A and C, and setting it equal to B. This is represented by the equation B = A x C.

2. What information do I need to know in order to find B using cross product?

In order to find B using cross product, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of two known vectors, A and C. This information can be represented by their respective components, such as A = (a1, a2, a3) and C = (c1, c2, c3).

3. Can the cross product be used for any type of vector?

No, the cross product is only defined for three-dimensional vectors. This means that it can only be used to find B in three-dimensional space.

4. What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product?

The geometric interpretation of the cross product is that it gives the direction of a vector that is perpendicular to the plane formed by the two original vectors, A and C. The magnitude of the cross product is equal to the area of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors.

5. Are there any applications of finding B using cross product?

Yes, there are many applications of finding B using cross product. One common application is in physics, where the cross product is used to calculate the torque on an object. It is also commonly used in computer graphics to determine the orientation of 3D objects and in engineering to calculate the forces on structures.