Scalar triple product invariance under circular shift proof

In summary: If you are getting different answers, something is wrong with your calculations.In summary, the conversation discusses the proof of a mathematical statement involving three vectors and their dot and cross products. The calculations for the left and right hand sides of the statement are shown, but there is a discrepancy in the results. The issue is resolved by realizing that the result of the triple product is a scalar and not a vector.
pastoreerrante

Homework Statement

Prove that for any three vectors ##\hat a, \hat b ## and ## \hat c##, ##\hat a \cdot (\hat b \times \hat c)## = ##(\hat a \times \hat b) \cdot \hat c ##

Homework Equations

[/B]
## \hat i \cdot \hat i = \hat j \cdot \hat j = \hat k \cdot \hat k = (1)(1)\cos(0) = 1 ##
## \hat i \cdot \hat j = \hat i \cdot \hat k = \hat j \cdot \hat k = (1)(1)\cos(90) = 0 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this procedure:

1. calculate the inner cross product ##(\hat b \times \hat c)## and ##(\hat a \times \hat b) ##
2. dotting the resulting vector with the third remaining vector (## \hat a ## and ## \hat c ## respectively)
3. I expected that the resulting vectors were identical in terms of their components, but they aren't.

These are the calculations for the LHS of my thesis:

1. ##(\hat b \times \hat c) ##= ##(b_y c_z - b_z c_y)\hat i## + ##(b_z c_x - b_x c_z)\hat j## + ##(b_x c_y - b_y c_x)\hat k##

2. dotting with ## \hat a ##:

## (a_x \hat i + a_y \hat j + a_z \hat k)## ## \cdot [(b_y c_z - b_z c_y)\hat i## + ##(b_z c_x - b_x c_z)\hat j## + ##(b_x c_y - b_y c_x)\hat k]## =
##(a_x b_y c_z - a_x b_z c_y)\hat i## + ##(a_y b_z c_x - a_y b_x c_z)\hat j## + ##(a_z b_x c_y - a_z b_y c_x)\hat k##

Now the calculations for the RHS of my thesis
:

1. ##(\hat a \times \hat b) ##= ##(a_y b_z - a_z b_y)\hat i## + ##(a_z b_x - a_x b_z)\hat j## + ##(a_x b_y - a_y b_x)\hat k##

2. dotting with ## \hat c ##:

## (c_x \hat i + c_y \hat j + c_z \hat k)## ## \cdot [(a_y b_z - a_z b_y)\hat i## + ##(a_z b_x - a_x b_z)\hat j## + ##(a_x b_y - a_y b_x)\hat k]## =
##(a_y b_z c_x - a_z b_y c_x)\hat i## + ##(a_z b_x c_y - a_x b_z c_y)\hat j## + ##(a_x b_y c_z - a_y b_x c_z)\hat k##

Clearly,

##(a_x b_y c_z - a_x b_z c_y)\hat i## + ##(a_y b_z c_x - a_y b_x c_z)\hat j## + ##(a_z b_x c_y - a_z b_y c_x)\hat k##

is not equal to:

##(a_y b_z c_x - a_z b_y c_x)\hat i## + ##(a_z b_x c_y - a_x b_z c_y)\hat j## + ##(a_x b_y c_z - a_y b_x c_z)\hat k##

What am I missing here?

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
You can never get a vector as a result from a scalar product. Your result should be a number.

Thank you, I got it! If I don't consider the results as vectors but as normal algebraic expressions, they are perfectly equivalent.

pastoreerrante said:
If I don't consider the results as vectors but as normal algebraic expressions, they are perfectly equivalent.

This rings a warning bell for me. It is not a matter of considering the result as a vector or not, the result of the triple product is a scalar and not a vector.

1. What is the scalar triple product invariance under circular shift?

The scalar triple product invariance under circular shift is a mathematical property that states that the scalar triple product of three vectors remains the same even after circularly shifting the order of the vectors. In other words, the scalar triple product is independent of the order of the vectors.

2. Why is the scalar triple product invariant under circular shift?

The scalar triple product is invariant under circular shift because it is based on the cross product of two vectors, which is known to be anti-commutative. This means that changing the order of the vectors in the cross product does not affect the final result, and thus the scalar triple product remains unchanged.

3. How is the scalar triple product invariance under circular shift useful?

The scalar triple product invariance under circular shift is useful in simplifying mathematical calculations involving triple products. It allows us to change the order of the vectors without affecting the final result, making it easier to manipulate and solve equations involving triple products.

4. Can you provide a proof for the scalar triple product invariance under circular shift?

Yes, the proof for the scalar triple product invariance under circular shift involves using the properties of the cross product and the triple scalar product. It can be shown that the result of the scalar triple product remains unchanged even after circularly shifting the order of the vectors.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the scalar triple product invariance under circular shift?

Yes, the scalar triple product invariance under circular shift is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It is particularly useful in calculating moments of inertia and angular momentum, as well as in 3D computer graphics for determining the orientation of objects in space.