Solving Differential Equations with Laplace Transforms

In summary, the Laplace transform is a very powerful method for solving differential equations, but it is not applicable to the problem you have given. The solution to your problem is to find the inverse laplace transform of a Gamma function, which is not in the common tables.
KFC
I am reading a text about Laplace transform in solving differential equations. Seems that this method is so powerful. To practice how it works, I makeup a very simple problem

[tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = e^{wt}y[/tex]

This equation could be solved by variable separation and then intergrate LHS and RHS. But I would like to check that Laplace transform works. Let's

[tex]Y = \mathcal{L}[y][/tex]

is the Laplace transform of y. Note that

[tex]\mathcal{L}[dy/dt] = sY(s) - y(0)[/tex]

and

[tex]\mathcal{L}[e^{wt}y] =Y(s-w)[/tex]

where s is the parameter for Laplace transform. Hence, in Laplace domain, above equation becomes

[tex]sY(s) = Y(s-w)[/tex]

(assuming y(0)=0) My question is : there is a shift in the variable s, so how to solve this equation to get Y?

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't. The problem with your simple example is that you chose a problem with a coefficient that is not constant, and the Laplace transform typically isn't applied to such problems.

Generally the Laplace transform is applied to linear ODEs with constant coefficients and a non-zero, time dependent right hand side. The Laplace transform is especially helpful when the RHS is discontinuous. For such problems you'll be able to solve for Y(s) and then do the inverse transform.

For your problem, you've gotten yourself a functional equation for Y(s), that I'm not sure how to solve. That doesn't mean it's not possible to solve it, but I'm not familiar with solving such problems.

Your relation almost looks like it's a Gamma function: recall the Gamma function has the functional relation

[tex]\Gamma(z+1) = z\Gamma(z)[/tex],

so for w = -1, [itex]Y(s) = \Gamma(s)[/itex] (this is apparently the unique solution, but I don't know how you'd show that). Of course, then you'd have to find the inverse laplace transform of a Gamma function, which usually isn't in the common tables!

So, generally, you wouldn't use the Laplace transform to solve that particular problem.

Last edited:

This DE is linear. It is perfectly alright to use Laplace transform method as long as you can solve the transformed equation.

The solution for [tex]sY(s) = Y(s-w)[/tex] is Y(s)=0 :biggrin:

But this seem to contradict the solution given by Mute if w=-1.
So in order that to be able to solve [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = e^{wt}y[/tex]
using Laplace transform, I suspect w must be negative and less than -1.

But the original equation can be solve for all value of w :confused:

Thanks for reply. Follow your reply, I still have some questions. First of all, we know that y(t=0) is the initial condition, but in what reason to make Y(s)=0?

matematikawan said:

This DE is linear. It is perfectly alright to use Laplace transform method as long as you can solve the transformed equation.

The solution for [tex]sY(s) = Y(s-w)[/tex] is Y(s)=0 :biggrin:

But this seem to contradict the solution given by Mute if w=-1.
So in order that to be able to solve [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = e^{wt}y[/tex]
using Laplace transform, I suspect w must be negative and less than -1.

But the original equation can be solve for all value of w :confused:

KFC said:
Thanks for reply. Follow your reply, I still have some questions. First of all, we know that y(t=0) is the initial condition, but in what reason to make Y(s)=0?

The reason, which I didn't notice before, is that if you solve your original equation, you find

[tex]\ln |y(t)| = \frac{e^{wt}}{w} + C \Rightarrow y(t) = A\exp\left[\frac{e^{wt}}{w}\right][/tex]

The initial condition y(0) = 0 is satisfied only for A = 0, which means y(t) = 0 for all t, and the laplace transform of zero is zero.

So, for w = -1 the gamma function solution for Y(s) seems to be erroneous, since Y(s) should be zero...

Of course, the trivial solution, Y(s) = 0 for all s also satisfies that relation, so I guess it's probably just the case that although the functional equation has non-trivial solutions, it's the trivial solution that needs to be picked to solve the ODE in this case. (I suppose it could also be the case that the inverse laplace transform of the non-trivial solution for Y(s) is zero, but that seems unlikely; they can't be analytic everywhere, as the Gamma function certainly isn't and we don't get a different solution for y(t) if w = -1).

Edit: Hm, maybe this is part of what's going on: in the other Laplace transform thread, Bobbybear mentioned that in order for something to be Laplace transformable, y(t) and its derivative cannot grow faster than the Laplace transform kernal, [itex]\exp[-st][/itex], which as you can see, the nonzero solutions of this ODE don't! An exponential to an exponential grows way too fast for the Laplace transform to yield a finite result, unless w < 0, in which case the solution itself decays to zero as t -> infinity. (there could be other conditions on w, like matematikawan predicts, but that doesn't come out of this basic analysis)

So, part of the problem here is that the Laplace transform of y(t) only exists for w < 0. This still doesn't tell us how to pick which solution to the functional equation to use - though I suspect there is only the trivial solution and then a unique solution, so perhaps it's just a matter of checking if the inverse transform of the nontrivial solution satisfies the given initial conditions.

Last edited:

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used to solve differential equations in engineering and physics.

2. Why are Laplace Transforms useful for solving differential equations?

Laplace Transforms allow us to convert a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which is often easier to solve. This method also takes into account initial conditions, making it a powerful tool for solving a wide range of problems.

3. How do you perform a Laplace Transform?

To perform a Laplace Transform, you need to take the integral of the function of time multiplied by the exponential function e^-st, where s is a complex frequency. This will result in a new function in terms of s, which can then be manipulated and solved using algebraic methods.

4. Can Laplace Transforms be used for all types of differential equations?

No, Laplace Transforms are most commonly used for linear differential equations with constant coefficients. They can also be used for some non-linear equations, but the process can be more complicated and may require additional techniques.

5. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transforms for solving differential equations?

One limitation of Laplace Transforms is that they cannot be used to solve differential equations with discontinuous functions or with certain types of boundary conditions. In these cases, alternative methods such as the Fourier Transform may be more appropriate.