Are there additional ways to enhance problem solving skills?

In summary, the professor's advice for problem solving includes learning the basic ideas, taking sufficient time to solve each problem, understanding that most problems do not require extensive calculations, actively engaging in solving problems rather than just learning solutions, reflecting on what has been learned from each problem, developing a systematic approach, and creating and solving similar problems to deepen understanding. It is also important to not get frustrated if a problem cannot be solved and instead focus on learning from it.
siddharth
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This is the advice my professor gave me on problem solving and I thought that it would be useful if I could share it.

1. Learn the basic ideas. Spend sufficient time on each problem. Some of the problems will take a long time - it is worth spending the time on it. Even if you don't solve it, you will learn a lot in the process.

2. Most of the problems are usually not calculation intensive. If you have too many calculations or equations, you probably are missing a simple intuitive idea that can do the trick.

3. You have to do the problems yourselves. You can take help, but just learning the whole solution is of no use. Learning the solutions does not help you learn to solve. Only solving problems yourself can do that.

4. Doing hundreds of problems one after the other is of very little use. The idea behind doing problems is learning how nature works. After you do each problem, spend at least 5 minutes thinking about what you have learned new from the problem. Consciously internalize the idea. The next time such a problem you get, you must be able to do it immediately.
Problems you could not solve will teach you more - spend 20-30 minutes on what would have made you think about the solution. You must consciously learn how to think about these problems. Just doing them is not enough. Through these problems, you must develop a world-view inside your head which tells you how things move and work.

5. Your aim should be to learn the topic so well that all the problems in this category seem easy. This means you must develop a systematic way of approaching these problems. Spend time thinking and imagining the situation, draw diagrams and graphs. Don't start with equations. People who start writing equations before they think get lost within the jumble of equations.

6. The best way to learn from a problem is after solving it (or learning the solution) to create similar problems yourself. Modify the problem (not trivially by changing the numbers!) in different ways that makes the problem easier or harder. See if you can always solve the new problems using ideas you just used in the first problem. How much can you modify the problem, still retaining the basic ideas behind it? Can you modify it such that it becomes too difficult to solve? Why doesn't your earlier approach work now? The student who creates and solves his/her own new problems from the ones given to him/her learns much more from each problem. Moreover he/she learns how the examiner thinks and creates problems in the exam - always a useful thing to know!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
7. Finally and most importantly, don't get frustrated if you don't solve a problem. Remember, the aim is to learn from the problem. Whether or not you could solve the problem is secondary.

I completely agree with the advice your professor has given you on problem solving. Problem solving is a crucial skill in the field of science and it is important to approach it in a systematic and thoughtful manner. Here are some additional points that I believe can further enhance your problem solving abilities:

1. Embrace failure: Don't be discouraged if you are unable to solve a problem on your first try. It is important to remember that failure is a natural part of the problem solving process. Use your failures as learning opportunities and keep trying until you find a solution.

2. Seek different perspectives: Sometimes, we get stuck in a particular way of thinking and it becomes difficult to see alternative solutions. It can be helpful to seek out different perspectives from your peers or even from other fields of science. This can give you fresh ideas and insights that you may not have considered before.

3. Keep a record: It can be helpful to keep a record of the problems you have solved and the strategies you used to solve them. This can serve as a reference for future problems and can also help you identify patterns and approaches that are effective for you.

4. Practice regularly: Just like any other skill, problem solving requires practice. Make it a habit to regularly solve problems, even outside of your coursework or research. This will help you develop a strong problem solving mindset and keep your skills sharp.

Overall, problem solving is a skill that can be honed and improved upon with practice and the right approach. Keep these tips in mind and I am confident that you will become a skilled problem solver in no time. Best of luck in your problem solving endeavors!

What is problem solving?

Problem solving is the process of finding a solution to a specific issue or challenge. It involves identifying the problem, gathering information, analyzing possible solutions, and selecting the best course of action to address the problem.

Why is problem solving important?

Problem solving is a critical skill for scientists, as it allows them to effectively address and overcome challenges in their research. It is also a valuable life skill, as it can help individuals overcome obstacles in their personal and professional lives.

What are some strategies for effective problem solving?

Some strategies for effective problem solving include breaking down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts, brainstorming multiple solutions, considering alternative perspectives, and seeking input from others.

How can I improve my problem solving skills?

You can improve your problem solving skills by practicing regularly, seeking feedback and learning from your mistakes, and seeking out new challenges that require you to think critically and creatively.

What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, try taking a break and coming back to it with a fresh perspective. You can also try talking to others for input or seeking out additional resources or information that may help you find a solution.