Ex 2.1 in Misner Gravitaition

• Thread starter syedamiriqbal
  • Start date
In summary: I found the answer to the first part of the problem. The component of momentum in the 'x' direction is p.v. The component of the velocity in the 'x' direction is v. The answer to the second part of the problem is that the velocity vector passes through the surface of constant phase twice.
syedamiriqbal
HI

I am trying to work through all the exercises in MTW. A very easy problem Exercise 2.1 about de broglie waves is not solved by me although it seems to be very simple. Could anyone help me out?

Amir

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you gave the exercise. Misner et al is quite an expensive book, I certainly can't afford it.

I'm not sure what your problem with the problem is.

What is the a) magnitude and b) direction of the momentum of the particle with the specified wavefunction.

[tex]\psi = exp[i(k x - \omega t)][/tex]

?

Pretend that the question is in a modern physics or quantum mechanics text.

How, then, would you tackle the question?

The problem is to prove that p.v=<p.v> for the phase of de broglie wave as quoted by pervect above, where p on rhs is a one form and others are 4-vectors.

Last edited:
syedamiriqbal said:
The problem is to prove that p.v=<p.v> for the phase of de broglie wave as quoted by pervect above, where p on rhs is a one form and others are 4-vectors.

Yesterday, I didn't have MTW at hand; today I do. Now I can see what your up against. :grumpy: I like MTW very much, but I dislike the presentation in this part of the book - body piercings (I'm too old for that sort of stuff), bongs of bell, etc.

Given a 4-vector [itex]p[/itex], [itex]p \cdot v = \left< \tilde{p} , v \right>[/itex] for all 4-vectors [itex]v[/itex] is the *definition* of [itex]\tilde{p}[/itex], and one doesn't go around proving definitions, notwithstanding the stuff written on page 58.

I think you're just supposed to note that, in a particular frame, [itex]\hbar[/tex] times the phase is [itex]p = \left( \hbar \omega , \hbar \vec{k} \right)[/itex], and the 4-position is [itex]x = \left( t , \vec{x} \right)[/itex]. The arbitrary 4-position plays the role of the arbitrary 4-vector [itex]v[/itex], so that (2.14) is

[tex]p \cdot v = \left< \tilde{p} , v \right> \equiv \hbar \phi.[/tex]

This is my take on the presentation and question, which I find to be particularly unclear.

Last edited:
I don't find the "bongs of the bell" approach all that bad - it seems very intuitive to me. But I gather that it drives people who are more mathematically rigorous crazy. The solution seems to me to just not be that rigorous.

We can divide the above problem into two parts. The first part is the quantum-mechanical part. The answer to that part of the problem is that one computes the component of momentum in the 'x' direction, and multiplies that by the component of the velocity in the 'x' direction, and that is the answer to that part of the problem.

The second part of the problem is to find out how many surfaces of constant phase the velocity vector passes through. This relates to a particular geometric inteprretation of the one-form as a set of "stacked plates". You then multiply this number by a constant, hbar, and show that this is the same as the result of the quantum-mechanical solution. That's all that's being asked.

I got the answer now

Thanks to all and especially to Goerge. I have tried my self the problem and foung that I was confusing v with velocity. Bad notation can kill you.

Amir

1. What is the purpose of Exercise 2.1 in Misner Gravitation?

The purpose of Exercise 2.1 in Misner Gravitation is to introduce the concept of the inverse square law and its application to gravitational force, as well as to familiarize readers with basic mathematical notations and principles.

2. What is the inverse square law in relation to gravity?

The inverse square law states that the force of gravity between two objects is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the objects increases, the force of gravity decreases exponentially.

3. How is the inverse square law expressed mathematically?

The inverse square law can be expressed mathematically as F = G(m1m2/r^2), where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

4. What are some real-world examples of the inverse square law in action?

Some examples of the inverse square law in action include the gravitational force between the Earth and the Moon, the force of attraction between the Sun and the planets in our solar system, and the force of attraction between two charged particles in an electric field.

5. How does Exercise 2.1 in Misner Gravitation tie into the larger study of gravity and general relativity?

Exercise 2.1 serves as a foundation for understanding the inverse square law and its application to gravitational force, which is a fundamental concept in the study of gravity and general relativity. It also sets the stage for more complex calculations and theories related to gravity and spacetime curvature.