Proving ||u + v|| = ||u|| + ||v|| if Vectors U & V Have Same Direction

In summary, to prove that ||u + v|| = ||u|| + ||v|| if and only if u and v have the same direction, one can use the properties of dot product and the fact that two vectors have the same direction if one is a scalar multiple of the other. By substituting the definition of two vectors having the same direction into the equation and using the properties of dot product, it can be shown that the left and right sides are equal. Therefore, the statement is true.
butterfli

Homework Statement

*v and u are vectors where ||u|| is the magnitude of u and ||v|| is the magnitude of v

Prove that ||u + v|| = ||u|| + ||v|| if and only if u and v have the same direction.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I tried using what it means for two vectors to have the same direction: u = v/||v||

u + v = v/||v|| + v (added v to both sides)
||u + v|| = ||(v/||v||) + v|| (took the magnitude of both sides)

From here, if I substitute (v/||v||) with u, I would just have ||u + v|| equal to itself.

I also tried looking up Properties of Dot Product but couldn't find a place to apply them. I'm kinda stuck on what else I can do so if anyone can provide tips or pointers in the right direction, I'd be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org

You should definitely use the dot product for this one. You will need two things. Firstly, remember that [itex]<a,b>=|a||b|\cos \theta[/itex]. What is the angle between two vectors that point in the same direction? Secondly, [itex]|a|^2=<a,a>[/itex], write the left hand side like this.

What does "Proving ||u + v|| = ||u|| + ||v|| if Vectors U & V Have Same Direction" mean?

This statement is referring to the triangle inequality theorem, which states that the sum of the lengths of any two sides of a triangle must be greater than the length of the third side. In the context of vectors, this means that the magnitude (length) of the sum of two vectors must be equal to the sum of the magnitudes of each individual vector, as long as the two vectors have the same direction.

How do you prove that ||u + v|| = ||u|| + ||v|| if vectors U & V have the same direction?

To prove this statement, you would use the properties of vectors, specifically the commutative and associative properties of vector addition. You would start by representing the vectors in terms of their components (x, y, and z coordinates) and then use algebraic manipulations to show that the left side of the equation is equal to the right side.

Can this statement be proven for vectors with different directions?

No, this statement specifically applies to vectors with the same direction. If the vectors have different directions, the triangle inequality theorem does not hold true and the equation ||u + v|| = ||u|| + ||v|| is not valid.

Are there any exceptions to this statement?

Yes, there are a few exceptions. If one or both of the vectors have a magnitude of 0, then the statement is automatically true regardless of direction. Additionally, if the vectors are parallel but have opposite directions, then the equation would become ||u + v|| = ||u|| - ||v||, which is still valid.

Why is this statement important in the study of vectors?

This statement is important because it helps us understand the properties of vector addition and magnitude. It also has practical applications, such as in physics and engineering, where vector addition is used to calculate forces, velocities, and other quantities.