Equivalence Relations on Integers: Proving Equivalence for All Elements

In summary, the author is asking for someone to show that two numbers, m and n, are equivalent if and only if m= n+ 5i+ 8j for some integers 5 and 8. He is using the Euclidean division algorithm to prove this.
doggie_Walkes
This is a question from A consise introduction to pure mathematics (Martin Liebeck)

Hi guys, just stuck on one problem was wondering if someone could lend me hand.

Let ~ be an equivalence relation on all intergers with the property that for all "m" is an element of the set of intergers , we have,

m ~ m +5
and also m ~ m+8

Prove that m~ n for all m, n is an element of intergers.

This is on page 161 of Martin Liebeck's book, number 7.

Im really stuck!

Physics news on Phys.org
If you could show m~m+1 that would do it, right? Can you show m~m+5 and m~m+8 imply that?

doggie_Walkes said:
This is a question from A consise introduction to pure mathematics (Martin Liebeck)

Hi guys, just stuck on one problem was wondering if someone could lend me hand.

Let ~ be an equivalence relation on all intergers with the property that for all "m" is an element of the set of intergers , we have,

m ~ m +5
and also m ~ m+8

Prove that m~ n for all m, n is an element of intergers.

This is on page 161 of Martin Liebeck's book, number 7.

Im really stuck!
For example, 6= 1+ 5 so 1 and 6 are equivalent. But 11= 6+ 5 so, because of the "transitive property, 1 is equivalent to 11. And, since 9= 1+ 8, 9 is also equivalent to 1 and therefore equivalent to 6 and 11. But 9= 4+ 5 so 9 is also equivalent to 9 and therefore to 1, and 6, and 11.

It looks to me like this is saying that two numbers, m and n are equivalent if and only if m= n+ 5i+ 8j for some integers 5 and 8. And that is same as saying m- n= 5i+ 8j. Let k= m-n. If you can show that any integer, k, can be written k= 5i+ 8j for some integers i and j, you have it.

I can show, using the Euclidean division algorithm, that for any integer k, i= -3k and j= 2k will work. Can you get that?

Yeah kind of, not 100% sure.

I know its a equibalence relations, so don't we have to prove that it is reflexsive, symmetric, and transitive?

1. What is an equivalence relation?

An equivalence relation is a type of relationship between two elements in a set, where the elements are considered to be equivalent to each other. This means that they share certain properties or characteristics that make them indistinguishable from one another.

2. What are the three properties of an equivalence relation?

The three properties of an equivalence relation are reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Reflexivity means that every element is equivalent to itself. Symmetry means that if element A is equivalent to element B, then element B is also equivalent to element A. Transitivity means that if element A is equivalent to element B and element B is equivalent to element C, then element A is also equivalent to element C.

3. How is an equivalence relation different from an equality relation?

An equivalence relation is a broader concept than an equality relation. While an equality relation only considers two elements to be equivalent if they are exactly the same, an equivalence relation allows for more flexible definitions of equivalence. For example, two fractions may not be equal, but they can be equivalent in terms of their decimal value.

4. How are equivalence relations used in mathematics?

Equivalence relations are used in various branches of mathematics, such as set theory, abstract algebra, and topology. They provide a useful tool for defining and studying mathematical structures and concepts. For example, in group theory, equivalence relations are used to define the concept of cosets, which are subsets of a group that are equivalent to each other.

5. Can you give an example of an equivalence relation?

One example of an equivalence relation is the relation "is congruent to" in geometry. If two shapes have the same size and shape, they are considered to be equivalent or congruent to each other. This relation satisfies the three properties of an equivalence relation - reflexivity, symmetry, and transitivity. Another example is the relation "has the same remainder when divided by 5" in number theory.