Finding the roots of a high degree polynomial equation

In summary, the person is trying to solve a differential equation with a high degree polynomial, but is having trouble. They are given a hint by someone else that there may be a simple root involved, and try to find it using the rational root theorem. Unfortunately, they run into problems and don't know where to go from there.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

y(6) - 3y(4) + 3y''-y = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The characteristic equation of that differential equation is:

r^6 - 3r^4 + 3r^2 - r = 0

But how am I expected to solve such a high degree polynomial (and thus the DE?)

Physics news on Phys.org
First, notice you can rewrite you char. equation as:

r(r^5-3r^3+3r-1)=0

Then notice too, that, inside your parenthesis: 1-3+3-1=0. What does this tell you?

Hi 1MileCrash! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)
1MileCrash said:

nooo :redface:

r6 - 3r4 + 3r2 - 1 = 0 :wink:

1MileCrash said:

Homework Statement

y(6) - 3y(4) + 3y''-y = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The characteristic equation of that differential equation is:

But how am I expected to solve such a high degree polynomial (and thus the DE?)
Following tiny-tim's corrected characteristic equation:
r6 - 3r4 + 3r2 - 1 = 0​

Expand (a - b)3 .

I don't know at what point certain things are supposed to be familiar but I would say pretty early there is a rather familiar pattern to be discerned in that last formula.

[itex]r^6- 3r^4+ 3r^2- 1[/itex] has only even powers of r. Let [itex]x= r^2[/itex] and that becomes [itex]x^3- 3x^2+ 3x- 1[/itex]. And, as SammyS suggests, that is [itex](x- 1)^3[/itex].

Worse comes to worse and you cannot see this pattern, it always makes sense to try for the simple roots,like 0,1 and -1 . Checking for 1 as a root comes down to adding the coefficients and seeing if the sum is zero; similar for -1.

Let me point out that Bacle2 is not just choosing "simple roots" at random. Since the leading coefficient is 1 and the constant term is 1, by the "rational root theorem" the only possible rational number roots are 1 and -1. (I don't know why he mentions "0".)

HallsofIvy said:
Let me point out that Bacle2 is not just choosing "simple roots" at random. Since the leading coefficient is 1 and the constant term is 1, by the "rational root theorem" the only possible rational number roots are 1 and -1. (I don't know why he mentions "0".)

Right, my bad. I thought the characteristic equation had no constant term.

All this help and the OP is nowhere in sight.

Related to Finding the roots of a high degree polynomial equation

What is a high degree polynomial equation?

A high degree polynomial equation is an algebraic equation that contains one or more variables raised to a power higher than one. It can have various terms and coefficients, and the degree of the polynomial is determined by the highest power of the variable.

Why is it important to find the roots of a high degree polynomial equation?

Finding the roots of a high degree polynomial equation is important because it helps us to solve real-world problems involving multiple variables. It also helps us to understand the behavior of a function and make predictions about its values at different points.

How do you find the roots of a high degree polynomial equation?

The roots of a high degree polynomial equation can be found by using various methods such as factoring, using the rational root theorem, the quadratic formula, and numerical methods like Newton's method. The method used depends on the complexity of the equation and the availability of information about its coefficients.

What is the rational root theorem?

The rational root theorem is a method used to find the rational roots of a polynomial equation. It states that if a polynomial has rational roots, then they will be in the form of p/q, where p is a factor of the constant term and q is a factor of the leading coefficient.

Can a high degree polynomial equation have complex roots?

Yes, a high degree polynomial equation can have complex roots. This happens when the equation has non-real coefficients or when the rational root theorem does not yield any rational roots. In such cases, the roots can be found using complex numbers and the fundamental theorem of algebra.