Proving o(An) = o(a) for Finite Abelian Groups | G, N, a | Group Theory Homework

In summary, we prove that if G is a finite group with N as a normal subgroup and a as an element in G, if the intersection of a and N is the identity element, then the order of the element aN in the quotient group G/N is equal to the order of the element a in G.
Justabeginner

Homework Statement

Let G be a finite group with N , normal subgroup of G, and a, an element in G.
Prove that if (a) intersect N = (e), then o(An) = o(a).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(aN)^(o(a)) = a^(o(a)) * N = eN = N, but is the least power such that (aN)^m = N. Assume m must divide o(a).

(aN)^((o(a)) = (aN)^ (mq +r) where 0 <= r < m,
However, ((aN)^m)-q * a(N)^(o(a)) = (a(N)^r)= N = (a(N)^r).
r < m so r= 0 and mq= o(a).
I am not sure how to continue however, am I even going in the right direction?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Justabeginner said:

Homework Statement

Let G be a finite group with N , normal subgroup of G, and a, an element in G.
Prove that if (a) intersect N = (e), then o(An) = o(a).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(aN)^(o(a)) = a^(o(a)) * N = eN = N, but is the least power such that (aN)^m = N. Assume m must divide o(a).

(aN)^((o(a)) = (aN)^ (mq +r) where 0 <= r < m,
However, ((aN)^m)-q * a(N)^(o(a)) = (a(N)^r)= N = (a(N)^r).
r < m so r= 0 and mq= o(a).
I am not sure how to continue however, am I even going in the right direction?

Thanks!

Presumably ##(a)## is meant to indicate the cyclic subgroup of ##G## generated by the element ##a##, ##aN## is the left coset ##aN=\{an:n\in N\}## considered as an element of the quotient group ##G/N##, ##o(a)## is order of ##a## as an element of ##G## and ##o(aN)## the order of the element ##aN## in the quotient group ##G/N##.

You've correctly identified that ##aN^{o(a)}=a^{o(a)}N=eN=N## and concluded (I think) that ##o(aN)|o(a)##, or at the very least that ##o(aN)\leq o(a)## (which is all that's really needed).

What remains to be shown is that ##o(a)\leq o(aN)##. This is where you probably want to use the necessary fact that ##(a)\cap N=(e)##.

Hint:
For all ##k##, ##a^k\in aN^k##

That made sense and I think I got it. Thank you very much!

1. What is a finite abelian group?

A finite abelian group is a mathematical structure consisting of a set of elements and a binary operation (typically denoted as + or *) that satisfies the following properties: closure, associativity, commutativity, identity, and inverse. In simpler terms, it is a group with a finite number of elements where the order in which operations are performed does not matter.

2. How do you determine the order of a finite abelian group?

The order of a finite abelian group is simply the number of elements in the group. To determine the order, you can count the number of elements or use the Lagrange's theorem which states that the order of a subgroup must divide the order of the group. Therefore, the order of the group can be found by finding all the divisors of the group's order and checking which ones divide the order of the group evenly.

3. Can finite abelian groups have non-abelian subgroups?

Yes, finite abelian groups can have non-abelian subgroups. This is because a subgroup is simply a subset of the original group that also satisfies the group's properties. As long as the subgroup follows the properties of closure, associativity, identity, and inverse, it can be considered a subgroup of the finite abelian group, regardless of its abelian or non-abelian nature.

4. How are finite abelian groups different from infinite abelian groups?

The main difference between finite and infinite abelian groups lies in their number of elements. As the name suggests, finite abelian groups have a finite number of elements, while infinite abelian groups have an infinite number of elements. Additionally, finite abelian groups have a finite number of subgroups, while infinite abelian groups have an infinite number of subgroups.

5. What are some examples of finite abelian groups?

Some examples of finite abelian groups include:

• The group of integers modulo n under addition (also known as the cyclic group of order n)
  • The group of 2x2 invertible matrices with entries in a finite field under matrix multiplication
  • The group of symmetries of a regular n-sided polygon under composition of transformations
  • The group of n-th roots of unity under multiplication