Calculating Work from Force as a Function of Time Graphs

In summary, the conversation discusses finding work from a force as a function of time graph. The solution involves using the equation F=dp/dt and integrating F(t) over time to obtain momentum, from which kinetic energy can be calculated. However, there is a potential issue with this approach due to the non-linearity of the equation, so knowing the initial momentum is important.
twiztidmxcn
I'm doing problems where I have f(t) (force as a function of time) graphs and f(x) (force as function of distance) graphs.

I am just having one problem, how do I find work for a force as a function of time graph?

Im not sure how work relates at all to force as a function of time. I know that the area under the graph of F(x) curve is work, but in the case of F(t), I have no clue how I would solve it.

Oh, also, I have no F(t) = whatever, I merely have a graph and am doing graphical analysis.

Any help in how to solve for work from an F(t) graph would be much appreciated.

-TwiztidMxcn

Physics news on Phys.org
F=dp/dt, where p is momentum. The kinetic energy is equal to p^2/2m. So integrating F(t) over t will give momentum, from which you can get the KE. There is a slight problem though. If you just naively assume that a momentum change corresponds directly to the work done by [itex]\Delta W = (\Delta p)^2/2m[/itex] you'll get into trouble because this equation is not linear in p. That is, [itex]\Delta W_{ac} = (\Delta p_{ac})^2/2m = (p_c-p_a)^2/2m[/tex] and [itex]\Delta W_{ac} = \Delta W_{ab}+\Delta W_{bc} = (p_b-p_a)^2/2m + (p_c-p_b)^2/2m[/tex] are incompatible. So you need to know the initial momentum and use: [itex]\Delta W = E_{f} - E_{0} = p_f^2/2m - p_0^2/2m[/itex].

you, my friend, i thank you for your help

What is work?

Work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. In simpler terms, it is the energy required to move an object a certain distance.

What is impulse?

Impulse is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. It is equal to the force applied to an object multiplied by the time period over which the force acts.

What is the relationship between work and impulse?

Work and impulse are directly related. The work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, which is equal to the impulse applied to the object.

What is F(t) in relation to work and impulse?

F(t) refers to the force applied to an object over a period of time. It is a measure of the average force that is applied to an object to produce a certain change in momentum or displacement.

How are work, impulse, and F(t) used in real-world applications?

Work, impulse, and F(t) are important concepts in various fields of science and engineering, including mechanics, physics, and biomechanics. They are used to analyze and understand the motion and behavior of objects, such as in designing machines, studying the human body, and calculating the efficiency of energy systems.