Improve Chemistry Problem Solving: Tips & Advice from Fellow Students

• Thread starter john16O
  • Start date
In summary, the person seems to be having trouble with procrastination and wanting to improve their problem solving skills. They suggest trying to set a time each day to work on the problems, and also trying to break the problems down into a smaller amount of time each day.
john16O
Usually when I am reading my chemistry textbook and I come along a mathematical problem such as the gas laws or thermo chemistry I tend to shy away from doing them and vow to come back to them and look over them later but I never do. And in the end those are the questions that I miss on the exam. Can you guys give me some advice or if you had the same problem, what you did you do to fix it? I am also trying to improve my problem solving skills, is there any advice that you guys could offer up?

Thank you to all in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
john16O said:
... tend to shy away from doing them and vow to come back to them and look over them later but I never do...

What about the solution 'do it'? It should be a very effective solution to your problem

lol, ill have to try that sometime. No but seriously, i tend to procrastinate when it comes to problems like that because it seems like if I stop and try to do the problem it will end up taking to much time to figure out. you know what i mean? and then I am just like, heck with this ill do these later. I guess i have to just stop being so lazy?

Don't skip over it. The book is written in that order for a reason. You'll need to know the math to understand everything all the way. You really just have to do it.

I agree with the other guys. It seems you know fairly well where your problem lies. You may not like that answer, but you are probably going to have to do the problems.:smile:

Have you tried budgeting time to them. For example, set an hour a day, say 7:00PM-8:00PM to work specifically on chemistry work. Make a list of stuff you want to cover during the course of the week. Eventually, you'll cover everything but those problems you don't care for. You'll then have to spend time on them to fill up the hours near the end of the week and check off everything on the list. Maybe some structure like this will help you to curb your procrastination a little bit.

Another idea, along the same lines, would be to budget a smaller amount of time everyday specifically to those problems.

john16O said:
Usually when I am reading my chemistry textbook and I come along a mathematical problem such as the gas laws or thermo chemistry I tend to shy away from doing them and vow to come back to them and look over them later but I never do. And in the end those are the questions that I miss on the exam. Can you guys give me some advice or if you had the same problem, what you did you do to fix it? I am also trying to improve my problem solving skills, is there any advice that you guys could offer up?

Thank you to all in advance!

john16O said:
lol, ill have to try that sometime. No but seriously, i tend to procrastinate when it comes to problems like that because it seems like if I stop and try to do the problem it will end up taking to much time to figure out. you know what i mean? and then I am just like, heck with this ill do these later. I guess i have to just stop being so lazy?

I'm puzzled here. It seems that you already know what the problem is and how to solve it. And from what I've read, several other people also see the same thing.

You know what you should do, you just don't do it. It is as simple as that, don't you think?

Zz.

FAQ: Improve Chemistry Problem Solving: Tips & Advice from Fellow Students

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in chemistry?

To improve your problem-solving skills in chemistry, it's important to first understand the fundamental concepts and principles. This will help you identify key information and apply the appropriate problem-solving strategies. Additionally, practicing regularly and seeking help from fellow students or a tutor can also greatly improve your skills.

2. What are some common mistakes that students make when solving chemistry problems?

Some common mistakes students make when solving chemistry problems include not fully understanding the question, not showing all steps of their work, and not double-checking their answers. It's important to read the question carefully and always show your work to avoid making careless mistakes.

3. How can collaborating with fellow students help improve my chemistry problem-solving skills?

Collaborating with fellow students can be very helpful in improving your chemistry problem-solving skills. By working together, you can discuss different approaches and techniques for solving problems, share helpful resources, and provide support and feedback to each other.

4. What are some useful tips for solving chemistry problems more efficiently?

Here are some tips for solving chemistry problems more efficiently: 1) Start by organizing and understanding the given information, 2) Use diagrams or visual aids to help you visualize the problem, 3) Break the problem down into smaller, manageable steps, 4) Use formulas and equations to guide your calculations, and 5) Check your work and make sure your answer is reasonable.

5. How can I stay motivated while tackling difficult chemistry problems?

Solving difficult chemistry problems can be challenging and it's normal to feel discouraged at times. To stay motivated, it can be helpful to break the problem into smaller parts and tackle them one at a time. You can also take breaks and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Additionally, setting realistic goals and rewarding yourself for your progress can also keep you motivated.