Could I get some help determining the point of inflection of a function?

In summary, the point of inflection on the graph y = x^4 - 4x^3 is at (0,0) and (2,-16). The second derivative, 12x^2 - 24x, is set equal to zero and solved to find the values of x where the concavity changes. These values are then checked using the original function to confirm that they are indeed points of inflection.
meeklobraca

Homework Statement

Determine the point of inflection on the graph y = x^4 - 4x^3

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The second derivative of this function is 12x^2 - 24x

I don't know how to show my work to get a point of inflection of (0,0)

How would I go about doing that?

Thank you for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Set the second derivative equal to zero and solve. You should get two values and then check a trial point on both sides of each of those in order to make sure that the concavity changes.

How do I do a trial to see the concavity changes?

I figured here my x values were x = 0 and x = 2. Do I plug these values into the second derivative to determine if the concavity changes?

Yes. At each of these points y'' should change from pos to neg or neg to pos.

I used the original function to check to see if it changes from positive to negative and vise versa, not y". When I used y" it told me x=2 is a point of inflection when I can see on the graph that it is not.

Oh I think I got it wrong. x=2 is a point of inflection. Could someone verify for me? I get (0,0) and (2,-16) as points of infection for this function.

Yes, the second derivative is, as you said, [itex]f"(x)= 12x^2- 24x= 12x(x- 2)[/itex]. If x< 0, both x and x-2 are negative so f" is positive. If 0< x< 2, x is positive while x- 2 is still negative so f" is negative. If 2< x, both x and x-2 are positive so f" is positive. f" changes sign at both 0 and 2 so 0 and 2 are inflection points.

1. What is the point of inflection of a function?

The point of inflection of a function is the point on the graph where the concavity changes. This means that the function changes from being concave upwards to concave downwards or vice versa.

2. How do you determine the point of inflection of a function?

To determine the point of inflection of a function, you need to find the second derivative of the function and set it equal to 0. Then, solve for the variable to find the x-coordinate of the point of inflection. Finally, substitute the x-coordinate into the original function to find the y-coordinate.

3. Can there be more than one point of inflection for a function?

Yes, a function can have multiple points of inflection. This happens when the concavity of the function changes more than once.

4. Can a function have a point of inflection at the beginning or end of the graph?

No, a function cannot have a point of inflection at the beginning or end of the graph. This is because there needs to be a change in the concavity, which cannot happen when the function is starting or ending.

5. What is the significance of the point of inflection in a function?

The point of inflection is significant because it helps us understand the behavior of the function. It can also be used to find critical points and the nature of the function at those points. Additionally, the point of inflection can be used to determine the intervals where the function is concave upwards or downwards.