Solving a Non-Homogeneous First Order Linear DE System

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a non-homogeneous differential equation system. The suggested methods include using the method of elimination and a substitution of variables. Another suggestion is to approach it as a matrix equation using eigenvalue decomposition. The added constant in the equation does not significantly change the process.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

I need to solve this DE system for a lab:

[tex]q_1'=2-\frac{6}{5}q_1+q_2[/tex]
[tex]q_2'=3+\frac{3}{5}q_1-\frac{3}{2}q_2[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to use the method of elimination to solve such systems, but this is non homogeneous because of the added constant. I've tried to do a change of variables for q1 and q2 so that it will become homogeneous, but I can't think of any substitution that would do that. How do I solve this problem? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try a substitution of the form
\begin{align*}
p_1 &= q_1 + c_1 \\
p_2 &= q_2 + c_2
\end{align*}Rewrite the original equations in terms of the p's. Then solve for the c's so that the constant terms cancel out.

if you know some linear algebra you could turn it into a matrix equation and use eigenvalue decomposition by setting a vector v=(q1,q2,1), v'=(q1',q2',1) related by a matrix A=((-6/5,1,2),(3/5,-3/2,3),(0,0,1))
that's how I'd solve it anyway

I don't see why being nonhomogeneous would matter here. If you differentiate the first equation you get
[tex]q_1''= -\frac{6}{5}q_1'+ q_2'[/tex]
From the second equation,
[tex]q_2'= 3+ \frac{3}{5}q_1- \frac{3}{2}q_2[/tex]
so that
[tex]q_1''= -\frac{6}{5}q_1'+ 3+ \frac{3}{5}q_1- \frac{3}{2}q_2[/tex]

From the first equation, again,
[tex]q_2= q_1'+ \frac{6}{5}q_1- 2[/tex]
Putting that in,
[tex]q_1''= -\frac{6}{5}q_1'+ 3+ \frac{3}{5}q_1- \frac{3}{2}(q_1'+ \frac{6}{5}q_1- 2)[/tex]
[tex]q_1''= -\frac{27}{10}q_1'- \frac{6}{5}q_1+ 3[/tex]
a linear equation with constant coefficients for [itex]q_1[/itex]

Or set it up as a matrix equation as genericusrnme suggests. The only thing the "2" and "3" add is that instead of "x'= Ax" you get "x'= Ax+ B". The same ideas apply. Find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of A so that you have a matrix P such that [itex]P^{-1}AP= D[/itex] where D is the diagonal (or Jordan normal form) matrix with the eigenvalues on the diagonal. With "x'= Ax", you would then write the equation as "[itex]P^{-1}x'= P^{-1}AP(P^{-1}x)[/itex] or [itex]y'= Dy[/itex] with [itex]y= P^{-1}x[/itex]. With "x'= Ax+ B", it becomes [itex]P^{-1}x'= P^{-1}APP^{-1}y+ P^{-1}B[/itex] or [itex]y'= Dy+ C[/itex] with [itex]C= P^{-1}B[/itex].

thanks, I figured it out

What is a first order linear differential equation system?

A first order linear differential equation system is a set of equations that describe the relationship between a dependent variable and its derivatives with respect to one or more independent variables. It can be written in the form of a0(x)y + a1(x)y' + a2(x)y'' + ... + an(x)y(n) = f(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, and n is the highest derivative present in the equation. The coefficients a0(x), a1(x), ..., an(x) and the function f(x) can depend on x, but not on y or its derivatives.

What is the general solution of a first order linear differential equation system?

The general solution of a first order linear differential equation system is a solution that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the independent variable x. It can be expressed as y = c1y1(x) + c2y2(x) + ... + cnyn(x), where y1(x), y2(x), ..., yn(x) are linearly independent solutions and c1, c2, ..., cn are arbitrary constants.

How do you solve a first order linear differential equation system?

To solve a first order linear differential equation system, you can use the method of integrating factors or the method of variation of parameters. In the method of integrating factors, you multiply the entire equation by an integrating factor, which is a function of x that helps to simplify the equation. In the method of variation of parameters, you assume a general solution of the form y = u(x)y1(x) + v(x)y2(x), where y1(x) and y2(x) are known solutions of the homogeneous equation, and then solve for the unknown functions u(x) and v(x).

What are the applications of first order linear differential equation systems?

First order linear differential equation systems have various applications in science and engineering, such as modeling chemical reactions, population growth, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics to model systems involving supply and demand, interest rates, and inflation. Additionally, they play a crucial role in the study of control systems, which are used to regulate and optimize the behavior of complex systems.

What is the difference between a linear and a nonlinear first order differential equation system?

A linear first order differential equation system is one where the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in a linear manner, as in y' = a(x)y + b(x). A nonlinear first order differential equation system is one where the dependent variable and its derivatives appear in a nonlinear manner, as in y' = a(x)y2 + b(x)y + c(x). The key difference is that the coefficients in a linear equation are not allowed to depend on the dependent variable or its derivatives, while in a nonlinear equation, they can. This leads to different methods for solving these two types of equations.