2nd degree equation (complex numbers)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a 2nd degree equation with a complex number, using the variable z and setting values for a, b, and c. The solutions found were z(1) = -1 + sqrt(2i) and z(2) = -1 - sqrt(2i), which are correct but involve sqrt(i). The conversation also mentions the use of complex numbers to be closed under operations such as taking square roots, and provides a relevant equation for this concept.
kasse
I just came across the eq.

z^2 - 2z + 1 - 2i

where z is a complex number. How do I solve this sort of eq.?

I tried to solve it as a normal 2nd degree eq., setting a=2, b=-2 and c=(1-2i), with z as the variable. This finally gave me the solutions

z(1) = -1 + sqrt(2i)

and

z(2) = -1 - sqrt(2i)

Can this be the correct solution? I had hoped for an answer involving i, not sqrt(i)...

Physics news on Phys.org
This is correct -- though you might want to find the solution to [tex]a+b i = \sqrt{i}[/tex] where a and b are real numbers. Remember that the point of the complex numbers to to be closed under things like taking square roots.

A relevant equation might be
[tex]\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} + \frac{i}{\sqrt{2}}\right)^2 = i[/tex]

which can be found graphically by viewing the unit circle [tex]|z|=1[/tex] in the complex plane, and considering that if [tex]z = |z|_{\theta}[/tex], then [tex]z^n = |z|^n _{n \theta}[/tex], where [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the lines corresponding to [tex]z[/tex] and [tex]1+0i[/tex].

What is a 2nd degree equation?

A 2nd degree equation, also known as a quadratic equation, is an equation that contains a variable raised to the second power. The general form of a 2nd degree equation is ax² + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that contain both a real part and an imaginary part. They are represented in the form a + bi, where a is the real part, b is the imaginary part, and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

How do you solve a 2nd degree equation with complex numbers?

To solve a 2nd degree equation with complex numbers, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b² - 4ac)) / 2a. Simply plug in the values for a, b, and c from your equation and solve for x.

What does the discriminant of a 2nd degree equation tell us?

The discriminant of a 2nd degree equation, which is b² - 4ac, tells us the nature of the solutions to the equation. If the discriminant is positive, there are two distinct real solutions. If it is zero, there is one real solution. If it is negative, there are two complex solutions.

Why are complex numbers useful in solving 2nd degree equations?

Complex numbers are useful in solving 2nd degree equations because they allow us to find solutions that may not be possible with only real numbers. For example, the solutions to x² + 1 = 0 are ±i, which are complex numbers. Without complex numbers, this equation would have no real solutions.