How should I deal with experimental physics?

In summary, the speaker is a third-year Physics student with a strong math background, interested in working with theories. However, they are struggling with the applied focus of their experimental physics classes, which they feel is more like engineering than physics. They are seeking advice from others who may have had a similar experience and are determined to become a physicist rather than a mathematician. Despite a negative experience with electronics, the speaker is determined to persevere and believes that good theoreticians should have an understanding of experimental work.
leo.
I'm studying Physics and I'm currently on my 3rd year. My aim is to work with theories, so I find mechanics, electrodynamics, quantum mehcanics and so on pretty interesting. Also I have a good math background, so I know advanced linear algebra, analysis, topology and differential geometry. The problem is that I simply can't deal anymore with the experimental physics classes.

My problem is that on the college I'm studying experimental physics seems much more like engineering than physics. Instead of doing experiements to verify important phenomena or to test theories like conservation of energy and so on, we do "applied things". For instance there are 3 disciplines just for studying circuits! And is simply like "let's learn how to project a filter like that, let's learn how to project a voltage transformer".

I'm in the second discipline about circuits and I simply don't know what to do, because I can't understand those applied things, nor do I get a minimum interesting for it.

Has anyone passed through something like that also and could tell me how to deal with experimental physics taught this way? I've even thought on becoming a mathematician, but I really don't want it, I want to be a physicist.

Physics news on Phys.org
Bad memories, I had to do a whole term of electronics and completely hated it! Luckily my "practical partner" loved it so we made it though! Hang on in there it doesn't last long.

good theoreticians have a good concept of what is happening experimentally.

1. What is the best approach for designing an experiment in experimental physics?

The best approach for designing an experiment in experimental physics is to first clearly define your research question and hypothesis. Then, review relevant literature and determine the variables and parameters that need to be controlled and measured. Next, create a detailed experimental procedure and select appropriate equipment and materials. Finally, conduct a pilot study to test and refine your experimental design before proceeding with the actual experiment.

2. How should I deal with unexpected results in experimental physics?

Unexpected results are a common occurrence in experimental physics and should be carefully analyzed and documented. First, check for any potential sources of error or experimental flaws. If the results cannot be explained by these factors, consult with colleagues or experts in the field for their input. It may also be necessary to repeat the experiment or modify the experimental design to further investigate the unexpected results.

3. What is the role of statistical analysis in experimental physics?

Statistical analysis is a crucial aspect of experimental physics as it allows for the quantification and interpretation of data. It helps to determine the significance and reliability of results, identify patterns or trends, and make comparisons between different experimental conditions. Proper statistical analysis also ensures that conclusions drawn from the data are valid and supported by evidence.

4. How should I document my experimental procedures and results in experimental physics?

Documentation is essential in experimental physics as it allows for reproducibility and transparency of research. It is recommended to keep a detailed lab notebook that includes all experimental procedures, observations, and results. This information should also be organized and stored in a digital format for easier access and sharing with others. Additionally, it is important to follow any specific documentation guidelines set by your institution or funding agency.

5. How can I ensure the safety and ethical considerations in experimental physics?

Safety and ethical considerations are of utmost importance in experimental physics. It is crucial to follow all safety protocols and guidelines when conducting experiments, such as wearing appropriate personal protective equipment and properly handling hazardous materials. Ethical considerations, such as obtaining informed consent and protecting the rights and welfare of human or animal subjects, should also be carefully addressed and approved by an institutional review board before conducting any experiments.