Shear and moment diagram-Need help

In summary, a shear and moment diagram is a graphical representation of the internal forces acting on a structural member, and it helps to analyze and visualize these forces along the member's length. To read the diagram, one must understand the horizontal and vertical axes, which represent the length and magnitude of the forces respectively. Shear force and bending moment are two types of internal forces, with shear force being perpendicular to the member and causing it to shear and bend, while bending moment causes it to deform and deflect. These forces can be calculated using equations derived from the principles of statics, and the practical applications of shear and moment diagrams include designing and analyzing structures and determining their maximum load capacity.
Jim Newt
Shear and moment diagram--Need help!

Homework Statement

On the attached question:

Fpy = 10 N
Ffy = 10 N

Mp = 0.15 Nm
Mf = 0.45 Nm

Homework Equations

Draw the shear and moment diagrams.

The Attempt at a Solution

If you look at the answer I posted, I believe the shear diagram (top) is correct. I'm not sure about the shape of the moment diagram though. Perhaps it would slope to zero on both ends. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Jim

Attachments

• Question.JPG
    Question.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 363
  • Answer.JPG
    Answer.JPG
    2.3 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
We would not know, because you did not show the supports on your first diagram.

Hello Jim,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your shear and moment diagrams. Based on the information provided, it seems like you are on the right track with your shear diagram. However, for the moment diagram, it is important to remember that the slope of the moment diagram will be equal to the shear force at that point. Therefore, the slope would not necessarily be zero on both ends, but rather would be equal to the shear force at that point.

In order to accurately plot the moment diagram, you will need to take into account the change in shear force at each point along the beam. This will allow you to determine the slope of the moment diagram at each point and plot it accordingly. I would recommend going back and reviewing the equations and concepts for shear and moment diagrams to ensure that you have a clear understanding of how to plot them accurately.

Additionally, it may be helpful to consult with a classmate or your professor for further clarification and assistance. They may be able to provide additional tips and resources to help you with your diagrams.

I hope this helps and good luck with your assignment! Remember to always double check your work and ask for help when needed. Science is all about collaboration and problem solving, so don't be afraid to reach out for assistance.

1. What is a shear and moment diagram?

A shear and moment diagram is a graphical representation of the internal forces (shear force and bending moment) acting on a structural member at different points along its length. It helps to visualize and analyze the distribution of these forces along the member.

2. How do I read a shear and moment diagram?

The shear and moment diagram consists of two axes: the horizontal axis represents the length of the member, and the vertical axis represents the magnitude of the internal forces. The points where the diagram crosses the horizontal axis indicate the location of significant changes in the internal forces, and the slope of the diagram at those points represents the magnitude of the forces.

3. What is the difference between shear force and bending moment?

Shear force is the force that is perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the structural member, while bending moment is the twisting force that is applied to the member. Shear force causes the member to shear and bend, while bending moment causes it to deform and deflect.

4. How do I calculate shear force and bending moment?

Shear force and bending moment can be calculated using the equations: V = dM/dx and M = ∫Vdx, where V is the shear force, M is the bending moment, and x is the distance along the member. These equations can be derived from the fundamental principles of statics.

5. What are the practical applications of shear and moment diagrams?

Shear and moment diagrams are used extensively in structural engineering to design and analyze various types of structures, such as beams, columns, and frames. They are also useful in determining the maximum load a structure can withstand before failure occurs, and in identifying critical points where additional support may be needed.