How to Design an Oscillating Table: Calculations & Gear Ratio Tips

In summary, to design a table that oscillates automatically, you will need to determine the required motor specifications, consider the mass and maximum retardation of the table, use gear ratio calculations, and test and adjust your design.
Jones1987

Homework Statement

I have to design a table which oscillates automatically. I have designed the structure and mechanism to do this. However I cannot begin to construct this design until I do some calculations for dimensions. I have no idea where to begin, thus why I am asking this question. I'm not asking for anyone to give me the blatant answer, I just ask for help with a starting point / a foundation to work from.

It has to oscillate along the horizontal axis at 25Hz, Amplitude of the oscillation has to be between 30-50mm. Max speed of the the table has to be 2546mm/s.
Max retardation of material is 50N and has a mass of 0.2kg.
Only 220/240V electrical supply is allowed.

I have to choose my own motor with its own specifications.

Homework Equations

I have no equations given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I assume I will have to use the Power equations for electrical and mechanical,
P = I . V and P = F . v

I have a Force of 50N and a velocity of 2546mm/s, which gives me 127.3 watt. So I then assume I will use the Power from the Mechanical equation and the Volts given to find the current? I = P/W?

I am using a mechanism: http://82.165.2.248/mechanisms/pages/gearreciprocate.html

When I choose a specific motor I will have the Watt and the RPM values, however I do not know where I go after this. Do I use transmissiblity ratio to work out the Amplitude of oscillation using the 25Hz?

I know I will have to use some gear ratio calculations, so is there any chance anyone can refer me to some material?

As stated before, I do not ask this question for anyone to do the work for me, but purely for a push in the right direction.

Any help is much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Designing a table that oscillates automatically can be a challenging task, but with the right approach and calculations, it can be achieved successfully. Here are some suggestions to help you with your design calculations:

1. Determine the required motor specifications: As you mentioned, you will need to choose a motor for your design. The motor should be able to provide enough power to drive the oscillation mechanism and move the table at the desired speed. You can use the power equations you mentioned (P=IV and P=Fv) to determine the power requirements for your motor. Keep in mind that the motor should also be able to operate on the allowed 220/240V electrical supply.

2. Consider the mass and maximum retardation of the table: The mass and maximum retardation of the table are important factors to consider in your design. These values will affect the force required to move the table and the power needed from the motor. You can use the equations F=ma and P=Fv to calculate the force and power requirements for your table.

3. Use gear ratio calculations: As you mentioned, you will need to use gear ratio calculations to determine the amplitude of oscillation at the desired frequency of 25Hz. The gear ratio will also affect the speed of the table, so it is important to choose the right gear ratio for your design. You can refer to online resources or textbooks for gear ratio calculations.

4. Test and adjust your design: Once you have completed your calculations, it is important to test your design and make any necessary adjustments. This will help you ensure that your table is oscillating at the desired frequency and amplitude, and that it is operating within the given specifications.

I hope these suggestions will help you get started with your design calculations. Good luck!

1. How do I determine the necessary gear ratio for my oscillating table?

The gear ratio for an oscillating table can be determined by dividing the number of revolutions required for a full cycle by the number of teeth on the gear. This will give you the gear ratio needed for the oscillating motion.

2. What calculations do I need to make for designing an oscillating table?

You will need to calculate the gear ratio, the required torque, and the speed of rotation for your oscillating table. You may also need to consider the weight and size of your table to ensure it can handle the necessary forces.

3. How can I ensure smooth and consistent oscillating motion on my table?

To ensure smooth and consistent motion, you will need to make sure your gear ratio is accurate and the gears are properly aligned. You may also need to add lubrication to the gears and bearings to reduce friction and improve the motion.

4. What factors should I consider when choosing the gear size for my oscillating table?

In addition to the gear ratio, you should also consider the weight and size of your table, the required torque, and the desired speed of oscillation. You may also need to consider the material and quality of the gears to ensure they can withstand the forces and provide a smooth motion.

5. Can I use a different type of mechanism for creating the oscillating motion on my table?

Yes, there are alternative mechanisms that can be used for creating oscillating motion such as cam and follower systems or crank and slider mechanisms. However, these may require different calculations and considerations compared to a gear-driven system.