Free stream temperature in convective bc's in Fluent

In summary, the person is trying to solve a case involving fluid flow in a tube using the CFD fluent solver and is confused about the values to be given for the inlet and free stream temperatures. They are clear about the inlet temperature but are seeking help in determining the appropriate value for the free stream temperature and the underlying physical concept.
vicky vivek
I'm trying to solve the case of a fluid flow inside a tube using CFD fluent solver with convective bc for fluid side surface of the tube.
As the boundary conditions take both inlet and free stream temperatures along with velocity at the inlet, i am confused with values of to be given for inlet and free stream temperatures. i am clear with the value of inlet temperature. It will be very useful for me if anybody helps me in taking appropriate value for free stream temperature and physical concept behind it in the case said above

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

1. What is the significance of free stream temperature in convective boundary conditions?

The free stream temperature is the temperature of the fluid at the boundary of a computational domain. It plays a crucial role in simulating convective heat transfer, as it represents the temperature of the fluid that is entering the domain and interacting with the solid boundary.

2. How is free stream temperature defined in Fluent?

In Fluent, the free stream temperature is defined as the temperature of the fluid at the boundary, where there is a prescribed velocity inlet or pressure inlet boundary condition. It can be set as a constant value or can be defined as a function of time or space.

3. Can the free stream temperature be changed during a simulation?

Yes, the free stream temperature can be changed during a simulation. In Fluent, it can be set as a variable that varies with time or space. This allows for more realistic simulations, as the free stream temperature may change due to external factors or heating/cooling effects.

4. How does the free stream temperature affect the results of a convective heat transfer simulation?

The free stream temperature directly affects the heat transfer rate at the boundary. A higher free stream temperature will result in a higher heat transfer rate, while a lower free stream temperature will result in a lower heat transfer rate. It is an important parameter to consider when analyzing convective heat transfer processes.

5. What happens if the free stream temperature is not properly defined in Fluent?

If the free stream temperature is not properly defined in Fluent, it can lead to inaccurate results in the simulation. The heat transfer rate and temperature distribution at the boundary will be incorrect, which can affect the overall simulation results. It is important to carefully define the free stream temperature to ensure accurate and reliable simulations.