Calculating Average Electrical Energy Dissipated in Copper Wire Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of average electrical energy dissipated in the resistance of a copper wire formed into a circular loop when a magnetic field is applied. The conversation includes the use of equations such as power=V^2/R and Biot-Savart formula, and the consideration of factors like number of turns and resistance per unit length. Ultimately, the correct method of finding the emf generated is suggested, leading to the correct answer.
spoonthrower
A piece of copper wire is formed into a single circular loop of radius 12 cm. A magnetic field is oriented parallel to the normal to the loop, and it increases from 0 to 0.55 T in a time of 0.45 s. The wire has a resistance per unit length of 3.3*10^-2 ohms/m. What is the average electrical energy dissipated in the resistance of the wire

I know that P=V^2/R
So i need to find the voltage in the wire.

To find the voltage, can i just find the average induced emf or is this approach wrong??

If i use the equation: average induced emf=BA/T i get the wrong answer simply calculating the area from the radius of the circle .12^2*pi.

Please help! what am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't see that your doing anything wrong here. Have you mulitplied the resistatance by the length of the wire (the circumference of the circle)? Also have you converted the power into energy (E = P.t)? Perhaps, if you show your calcs...

~H

Since the wire is in a loop i guess i have to use this equation to find the current:

B=N(u)I/(2R) where u=4pi*10^-7 and N=# of turns=1 and R=Radius in meters

solving for I to get I= 105042.2624 A

This is a huge # so i don't know if I am doing this right.

Power=I^2R where I is the current through the wire and R is the resistance in ohms. so this leads to my next problem. the problem gives me the resistance in ohms/m so i assume i have to multply this resistance by the length (circumference) of the wire to change it into ohms. so the circumference of my wire is .12(2)pi= .753982237 m. so my resistance would be .753982237 m(3.3*10^-2 ohms/m) to get .024881414 ohms.

now that i know both I and R i can plug them into power=I^2R

=(105042.2624)^2(.024881414)= 274538456.9 W

So power= energy/time so energy=power(time)=274538456.9(.45)=1.24*10^8 J.

This is not the correct answer. Please let me know what i am doing wrong. thanks.

Why are you using current? It would be much easier to find the emf generated as you are given all the required information in the question;

[tex]emf = N\frac{d\Phi}{dt}[/tex]

You can then sub this value into;

[tex]P = \frac{V^2}{R}[/tex]

as you originally suggested. You were correct in you method for find the resitance, area of loop and it circumference btw.

~H

thanks for your help. i got the right answer.

In the Biot-Savart formula "B = uNI/2R" , the I *causes* the B-field.
Certainly a static Magnetic field cannot cause charge to move.

1. How do you calculate the average electrical energy dissipated in a copper wire loop?

The average electrical energy dissipated in a copper wire loop can be calculated by multiplying the resistance of the wire (in ohms) by the square of the current (in amperes) and the time (in seconds) that the current is flowing through the wire. This can be represented by the formula:
Average Electrical Energy = Resistance x (Current)^2 x Time

2. What is the importance of calculating average electrical energy dissipated in a copper wire loop?

Calculating the average electrical energy dissipated in a copper wire loop is important because it helps us understand how much energy is being lost as heat in the wire. This information is crucial for designing and implementing efficient electrical systems.

3. How do you measure the resistance of a copper wire loop?

The resistance of a copper wire loop can be measured using an ohmmeter. The wire is connected to the ohmmeter and the resistance value is displayed on the meter. It is important to note that the resistance of a wire can vary depending on its length, thickness, and temperature.

4. What factors can affect the average electrical energy dissipated in a copper wire loop?

The average electrical energy dissipated in a copper wire loop can be affected by factors such as the length and thickness of the wire, the temperature of the wire, and the amount of current flowing through the wire. Higher temperatures and thicker wires tend to dissipate more energy, while longer wires and higher resistance can lead to less energy dissipation.

5. Can the average electrical energy dissipated in a copper wire loop be reduced?

Yes, there are ways to reduce the average electrical energy dissipated in a copper wire loop. One way is by using wires with a lower resistance, which will result in less energy being lost as heat. Another way is by using wires with a larger diameter, as they have a lower resistance and can handle higher currents without dissipating as much energy. Additionally, keeping the wire at a lower temperature can also help reduce energy dissipation.