Analytical solution of Laplace's equation with horrendous boundary conditions

In summary, the Laplace equation is an equation describing waves in one or more space variables. The boundary of the region is not given and makes the problem difficult to solve.
Nardis
Hi,

I'm trying to find an analytical solution of Laplace's equation:

[tex]\phi_{xx}[/tex] + [tex]\phi_{tt}[/tex] = 0

with the tricky boundary conditions:

1. [tex]\phi(x=0,|t|>\tau)= 0[/tex]
2. [tex]\phi(x\neq0, |t|>>\tau)=0[/tex]
3. [tex]\phi_{x}(x=0, |t|<\tau)=-1[/tex]
4. [tex]\phi_{t}(x, |t|>>\tau)=0[/tex]

I have the following ansatz(I think that's the correct term):

[tex]\phi(x,t)=\int^{\infty}_{0}A(k)e^{-kx}cos(kt)dk[/tex]

i.e. a Fourier integral. It has the form that it has since I don't want the solution blowing up at infinity (I should also add that I'm only interested in [tex]x\geq0[/tex]) and that the solution has to be even in time (this is required by the physics of the problem). My attempts to extract [tex]A(k)[/tex] using standard Fourier methods have failed, due to the difficulty of the b.cs.

Can anyone help me come up with an analytical solution to this problem?

PS, it IS possible to solve the problem using conformal mapping, but I'm trying to find another analytical way of solving it, mainly for the purposes of extension to another related problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nardis said:
Hi,

I'm trying to find an analytical solution of Laplace's equation:

[tex]\phi_{xx}[/tex] + [tex]\phi_{tt}[/tex] = 0

with the tricky boundary conditions:

1. [tex]\phi(x=0,|t|>\tau)= 0[/tex]
2. [tex]\phi(x\neq0, |t|>>\tau)=0[/tex]
3. [tex]\phi_{x}(x=0, |t|<\tau)=-1[/tex]
4. [tex]\phi_{t}(x, |t|>>\tau)=0[/tex]

I have the following ansatz(I think that's the correct term):

[tex]\phi(x,t)=\int^{\infty}_{0}A(k)e^{-kx}cos(kt)dk[/tex]

i.e. a Fourier integral. It has the form that it has since I don't want the solution blowing up at infinity (I should also add that I'm only interested in [tex]x\geq0[/tex]) and that the solution has to be even in time (this is required by the physics of the problem). My attempts to extract [tex]A(k)[/tex] using standard Fourier methods have failed, due to the difficulty of the b.cs.

Can anyone help me come up with an analytical solution to this problem?

PS, it IS possible to solve the problem using conformal mapping, but I'm trying to find another analytical way of solving it, mainly for the purposes of extension to another related problem.

Welcome to the forum Nardis.

I have a few questions regarding this problem.

*) Is the time t running from [tex]-\infty[/tex] to [tex]+\infty[/tex], or is the problem supposed to be for positive t only? If the latter is true, why the absolute value?
*) What is the condition [tex]\phi(x=0, |t|<\tau)=?[/tex]

I assume that you need an analytic solution? I am looking for a series solution, assuming this is also valid...

Hi coomast,

1. Yes, time is running from [tex]-\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex]. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

2. Unfortunately [tex]\phi(x=0, |t|<\tau)[/tex] is unknown. This and the fact that [tex]\phi_x(x=0)[/tex] is unknown for all time is what makes the problem hard.

Yep, it'd be great if you could find a series solution.

Last edited:
Nardis said:
Hi coomast,

1. Yes, time is running from [tex]-\infty[/tex] to [tex]\infty[/tex]. Sorry I didn't make that clearer.

2. Unfortunately [tex]\phi(x=0, |t|<\tau)[/tex] is unknown. This and the fact that [tex]\phi_x(x=0)[/tex] is unknown for all time is what makes the problem hard.

Yep, it'd be great if you could find a series solution.

There is still something that I don't understand. How can the Laplace equation be with time?
You either have the Laplace equation in some region bounded by two (or more) space variables or the equation for describing waves (with time). This here seems to be something mixed?

In solving these equations, the boundary must be completely given in some way, p.e. a function, it's derivative or some mixed conditions, but at least at the whole boundary which is not the case here.

Can you tell me more on what it is for or where it is coming from?

Nardis?

1. What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a partial differential equation that describes the relationship between a function's second-order derivatives in three-dimensional Cartesian coordinates. It is commonly used in mathematical physics and engineering to model steady-state processes.

2. What are analytical solutions?

Analytical solutions refer to mathematical expressions that describe the exact solution to a problem, as opposed to numerical solutions which are approximations. In the context of Laplace's equation, analytical solutions are expressions that satisfy the equation and account for the given boundary conditions.

3. What are horrendous boundary conditions?

Horrendous boundary conditions are boundary conditions that are complex or difficult to solve for analytically. In the context of Laplace's equation, these may include irregularly shaped boundaries, non-constant boundary conditions, or multiple boundary conditions.

4. Why is it important to find analytical solutions for Laplace's equation with horrendous boundary conditions?

Analytical solutions for Laplace's equation with horrendous boundary conditions can provide valuable insights into the behavior of complex systems and help guide the design of engineering solutions. They also serve as a benchmark for numerical solutions and can be used to validate their accuracy.

5. What are some techniques for solving Laplace's equation with horrendous boundary conditions?

Some techniques for solving Laplace's equation with horrendous boundary conditions include separation of variables, conformal mapping, and Green's function methods. These techniques involve manipulating the equation and boundary conditions to find a solution that satisfies both. Additionally, numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods can also be used to approximate the solution.