Struggling with a Nonlinear Nonhomogenous ODE?

In summary, the conversation discusses the method of solving the first-order ODE y' + y = t^2 with initial conditions y(0) = 6 and y'(0) = -6. The individual tried to separate variables and use the undetermined coefficients method, but found difficulty in using the second initial condition. Another person suggested using t instead of x in the solution and confirmed the correctness of the method and solution. Other potential methods were mentioned, such as using power series solutions or using software such as Mathematica.
DreDD

Homework Statement

y' + y = t^2 , y(0) = 6, y'(0)= -6

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

first i tried to separate variables using y = ux but can't forward on and then i tried undetermined coeff. method. i found homogenous and particular solution but i am not sure about the solution because there is no need to use y'(0)=-6 and i really don't sure can i use this method for the first order ode.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you show me your homogeneous and particular solutions, I'll stand a better chance of telling you what is wrong with them than if I just wildly guess at what you may have done wrong! ;0)

x+1 = 0
x = -1

Yh = c1 e^-x

Yp= K2 x^2 + K1x + K0 and take Yp' and write the Yp and Yp' to the eq'n find K2, K1 and K0

Yp = x^2 - 2x +2

Y = c1 e^-x + x^2 - 2x + 2

there is only c1 and i don't need the second initial value

Shouldn't your y's be functions of t instead of x?!

and since y'(t)+y(t)=t^2, y'(0)+y(0)=0 => y'(0)=-y(0) which is consistent with your initial values, and so you can use either of them to find c1.

If on the other hand, you were given y(0)=6 and y'(0)=3, then there would be no solution since these initial conditions are inconsistent with your ODE.

Luckily, your initial conditions are consistent and so your method and solution are correct! :smile:

thanks for the help yes u r right it should be t . i don't like t :D

DreDD said:
thanks for the help yes u r right it should be t . i don't like t :D

t is good for you! :biggrin:

welcome to PF! :smile:

tiny-tim said:
t is good for you! :biggrin:

welcome to PF! :smile:

thx :D but it confuses my mind :D

by the way any other ways to solve this eq'n?

try "t" with ginseng...that should help your mind out :wink:

...as for other methods, I'm sure there are a few (such as power series solutions) but aside from plugging it into mathematica; this is the easiest way I know of.

1. What is a non linear nonhomogenous ODE?

A non linear nonhomogenous ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a type of mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It differs from a linear ODE in that the function and its derivatives are raised to powers or multiplied together, and it differs from a homogenous ODE in that it includes a non-zero function on the right-hand side, which makes it nonhomogenous.

2. What are some real world applications of non linear nonhomogenous ODEs?

Non linear nonhomogenous ODEs have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model systems with changing parameters, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and electrical circuits. They are also used in numerical analysis and computer simulations to solve complex problems involving non-linear behavior.

3. How are non linear nonhomogenous ODEs solved?

Unlike linear ODEs, there is no general method for solving non linear nonhomogenous ODEs. However, various techniques can be used depending on the specific form of the equation. These include substitution, separation of variables, and power series methods. In some cases, numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods may be used to approximate a solution.

4. What are the challenges of solving non linear nonhomogenous ODEs?

Non linear nonhomogenous ODEs present several challenges compared to linear ODEs. They may not have an analytical solution, so numerical methods must be used. The nonlinearity also makes it difficult to find a general solution, so specific initial conditions or boundary conditions must be given. Additionally, the behavior of the solution may be unpredictable and sensitive to small changes in the initial conditions.

5. How are non linear nonhomogenous ODEs used in chaos theory?

Non linear nonhomogenous ODEs are a key tool in the study of chaos theory. These equations can produce complex, unpredictable behavior, even with simple initial conditions. Examples include the Lorenz system and the logistic map. Non linear nonhomogenous ODEs are used to model chaotic systems in physics, biology, and economics, and have practical applications in cryptography and random number generation.