Optimizing Math Text on Amazon Kindle: Compatibility and Legibility

• Thread starter ForMyThunder
  • Start date
In summary, the Amazon Kindle can handle math text from lecture notes, but it may require conversion from PDF depending on the version. However, newer versions can display PDFs without conversion and show them correctly. Reading PDFs on the Kindle can be difficult due to the small size, but textbooks in Kindle format may be easier to read.
ForMyThunder
If anyone has an amazon kindle, how does it handle math text, say from lecture notes. I've been told that you need to convert it from pdf. Does anyone know how it looks after it has been converted? Is it legible? What about textbooks that are in pdf format?

Computer science news on Phys.org
From what I know it depends on the Kindle version - earlier models needed pdf converter. The one I bought few weeks ago displays pdfs without a need for conversion, and displays them correctly (at least those I checked - including textbooks and papers with some math formulas). But reading pdfs is a PITA - while they are displayed correctly, they are displayed too small, so you have to rotate them 90 deg to make them more readable, which in turn makes reading clumsy. Judging from the Amazon store there are more and more textbooks sold in Kindle format, these should be much easier to read.

1. What type of files can be read on an Amazon Kindle?

The Amazon Kindle can read a variety of file types including AZW, MOBI, PDF, TXT, and HTML. However, it does not support EPUB files.

2. Can I transfer files from my computer to my Amazon Kindle?

Yes, you can transfer files from your computer to your Amazon Kindle using a USB cable or by emailing the files to your Kindle email address.

3. Do I need a special version of the Amazon Kindle for international use?

No, the Amazon Kindle is designed to work globally and does not require a special version for international use. However, you may need to purchase books from the appropriate Amazon store for your region.

4. Can I use the Amazon Kindle to access the internet?

The Amazon Kindle does not have a built-in web browser, so you cannot access the internet directly. However, you can download and read books, newspapers, and magazines that have internet connectivity.

5. How long does the battery of an Amazon Kindle last?

The battery life of an Amazon Kindle varies depending on usage and model. On average, the battery can last for several weeks on a single charge with moderate use. Heavy use, such as reading with the backlight on, may reduce the battery life.