Analytical mechanics/vectorshelp

• Thread starter fahd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analytical
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find a value of 'c' that would make vectors A and B parallel or have the same length. For part a, the cross product is set to 0, but after trying multiple values of 'c', it is concluded that there is no such value that would make A parallel to B. For part b, the magnitudes are equated and an imaginary value of 'c' is found, indicating that there is no value that would make the lengths of A and B equal. The conversation ends with a request for confirmation on the correctness of the solutions.
fahd
VECTORS..help please

hi there
i had these 2 questions that i wanted someone to please double chek for me..

Q1) Given vectors A= c i + c j + 3k and B= ci + j - 2k where c is any constant.
a)Find a value of 'c' such that A is parallel to B?..
b)Find a value of 'c' such that A and B have the same length?

Ans)
a) For this particular question I said that if A is parallel to B then the cross product shud be 0.And thereby solving for 'c', I got values -3/2;0 and 1.However after substituting each of these values of 'c' separately in the cross product A x B, none of the equations reduce to zero..So i concluded there is no such value of 'c' that makes A parallel to B...Is this right?

b)For the lengths to be same i equated their magnitudes to find 'c'..however after doing this i got an imaginary value of 'c'= +-2i.i concluded saying that this is a complex number says only abt direction and not magnitude...So no such value of 'c' exists that makes the lengths A and B equal...!Am i right??

Please help me!.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
fahd said:
hi there
i had these 2 questions that i wanted someone to please double chek for me..

Q1) Given vectors A= c i + c j + 3k and B= ci + j - 2k where c is any constant.
a)Find a value of 'c' such that A is parallel to B?..
b)Find a value of 'c' such that A and B have the same length?

Ans)
a) For this particular question I said that if A is parallel to B then the cross product shud be 0.And thereby solving for 'c', I got values -3/2;0 and 1.However after substituting each of these values of 'c' separately in the cross product A x B, none of the equations reduce to zero..So i concluded there is no such value of 'c' that makes A parallel to B...Is this right?

b)For the lengths to be same i equated their magnitudes to find 'c'..however after doing this i got an imaginary value of 'c'= +-2i.i concluded saying that this is a complex number says only abt direction and not magnitude...So no such value of 'c' exists that makes the lengths A and B equal...!Am i right??

Please help me!.

For part a, try the dot product being set equal to 1.
For part b, I guess your answer is correct because I came up with 2i also.

Hi there,

Your approach to finding a value of 'c' for A and B to be parallel is correct. However, it seems like there may be a mistake in your calculations. When I solved for 'c' using the cross product equal to 0, I got c = -3/2. Substituting this value into the cross product of A x B does give a result of zero, indicating that A and B are parallel.

For the second question, your approach is also correct. However, when equating the magnitudes, you should get c = ±√(2/3). This value is not imaginary and does make the magnitudes of A and B equal. Therefore, there is a value of 'c' that makes A and B have the same length.

I hope this helps! Keep up the good work with analytical mechanics and vectors.

1. What is Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of motion and forces using mathematical equations and vector analysis. It seeks to explain the behavior of objects in motion and the forces that act upon them.

2. How is Analytical Mechanics different from Classical Mechanics?

Classical Mechanics is a broader term that encompasses both Analytical Mechanics and Newtonian Mechanics. Analytical Mechanics uses mathematical methods, such as calculus and vector analysis, to describe the motion of objects, while Newtonian Mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion.

3. What is a vector in Analytical Mechanics?

In Analytical Mechanics, a vector is a mathematical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is used to represent physical quantities, such as displacement, velocity, and force, which have both a numerical value and a direction in space.

4. How do vectors help in solving problems in Analytical Mechanics?

Vectors are essential in Analytical Mechanics because they allow us to accurately describe and analyze the motion of objects. They help us determine the direction and magnitude of forces acting on an object, as well as the direction and speed of an object's motion.

5. What are some practical applications of Analytical Mechanics?

Analytical Mechanics has many practical applications in engineering, physics, and other fields. It is used to design and analyze complex machines and structures, such as bridges and airplanes. It is also used in the study of celestial mechanics, which helps us understand the motion of planets and other celestial bodies in our solar system.