Understanding Cross Section in Physics: Dimension and Formula Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses the dimension of a surface in the context of the formula for the differential cross-section, which is found on Wikipedia. The formula is {dσ/dΩ} = (2π)^4 * mi * mf * (pf/pi) * |Tfi|^2, where σ has units of area. The conversation also questions the dimensions of mi, mf, pi, pf, and T, and whether there is a constant present in the formula.
naima
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
naima said:
Hi all

I found http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_section_(physics)#Relation_to_the_S_matrix" on wikipedia:

[tex]{d\sigma \over d\Omega} = (2\pi)^4 m_i m_f {p_f \over p_i} |T_{fi}|^2[/tex]

Has it the dimension of a surface? (I only see M*M)
It is the first time I read this formula about differential cross section.
Yes, the microscopic cross-section σ has units of area.

The differential cross-section is a measure of how the microscopic cross-section, σ, changes with respect to the solid angle, Ω.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, but what are the dimensions of mi mf pi pf and T?
and how do you get L*L?

I am sure that there is a c = 1 or a hbar = 1 in this formula which disables one to do dimesional calculus.
Do you know how this equality is deduced?

1. What is a cross section in physics?

A cross section in physics is a measure of the probability that a particular interaction will occur between two particles. It is used to describe the likelihood of a collision or scattering event between particles.

2. How is cross section related to dimension in physics?

Cross section is related to dimension in physics because it is a measure of an area or volume, which has dimensions of length squared or length cubed. This is because cross section represents the effective area or volume in which interactions can occur between particles.

3. What is the formula for calculating cross section in physics?

The formula for cross section in physics is σ = N/A, where σ is the cross section, N is the number of interactions that occur, and A is the target area or volume. This formula is based on the assumption that the number of interactions is proportional to the target area or volume.

4. How is cross section used in particle physics experiments?

Cross section is used in particle physics experiments to determine the probability of a particular interaction occurring between particles. This information is then used to understand the fundamental properties of particles and their interactions, and to test theoretical models and predictions.

5. What factors can affect the cross section in physics?

The cross section in physics can be affected by various factors such as the energy of the particles, the type of interaction being studied, and the properties of the target material. It can also be influenced by external factors such as the temperature and pressure of the environment in which the particles are interacting.