Understanding Orbital Motion: Comparing Satellite Weights in Different Orbits

In summary, The conversation discusses the acceleration of the moon towards the earth and the ratios of weight between two satellites orbiting the earth. The equations for calculating gravitational force and potential energy are also mentioned.
rachael
q1. what is the acceleration of the moon towards the earth?
q2. Two satellites,X and Y, of equal mass are orbiting the Earth in orbits of radii r and 3r respectively. Find the ratios:
a. weight of satellite X/ weigh of satellite Y

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
a1: I'm assuming you're modeling the orbits as circular motion, either way, try writing the forces acting on the two bodies (earth and the moon), and draw a figure that should help.

a2: similar to q1, except you have to do it twice, one for each satellite. now you'll have two equations and with the relationships of the radii given, you may solve for the masses.
hope this helps, sincerely, x

i don't get it

It might help you to know that
[tex]F_g= -\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/itex]
where G is the universal gravitational constant, M and m are the masses of the objects and r is the distance between their centers.

I don't think it is F=-(GMm)/r²
there should'nt be a minus sign there.
You might have confused it with gravitational potential energy? U=-(GMm)/r

no, HallsofIvy's equation is correct.

my bad, without the minus sign is only a convention haha

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other.

2. How does gravity affect circular motion?

Gravity is the force that keeps objects in circular motion. It acts as a centripetal force, pulling an object towards the center of the circular path.

3. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle.

4. How is the force of gravity related to the mass of an object?

The force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object. The more massive an object is, the greater the force of gravity it exerts on other objects.

5. Can gravity affect objects in space?

Yes, gravity affects objects in space just as it does on Earth. The only difference is that in space, the force of gravity may be weaker or stronger depending on the mass and distance between objects.