Decrease in amplitude with distance from source

In summary, the amplitude of a sound wave decreases inversely with the square of the distance from the source.
wrongusername

Homework Statement

A stone is thrown into a quiet pool of water. With no fluid friction, the amplitude of the waves falls off with distance r from the impact point as:

A. 1/r3
B. 1/r
C. 1/r1/2
D. 1/r3/2
E. 1/r2

Homework Equations

I can't think of any wave function accounting for decreasing amplitude with an increasing x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I remembered from high school science classes that the intensity (or something similar) of a sound wave decreases inversely with the square of the distance from the source, so I chose choice E but got it wrong. I do not know what the correct answer is. Any help would be great :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you remember why a sound wave decreases inversely with the square of the distance? Imagine a sound source emitting a very short pulse of sound. One second later, the sound energy will be spread across the surface of a sphere. The sphere's surface area is 4pi*r^2, so the intensity (energy per square meter) is P/(4pi*r^2).

Now, for a wave on a pond, all of the energy moves in two dimensions. So intensity is...

ideasrule said:
Do you remember why a sound wave decreases inversely with the square of the distance? Imagine a sound source emitting a very short pulse of sound. One second later, the sound energy will be spread across the surface of a sphere. The sphere's surface area is 4pi*r^2, so the intensity (energy per square meter) is P/(4pi*r^2).

Now, for a wave on a pond, all of the energy moves in two dimensions. So intensity is...

Oh, so that's why :smile:

I guess the answer is B then, since intensity would be P/(2pi*r). Thank you!

I believe that the answer is not 1/r...

JPizz said:
I believe that the answer is not 1/r...

Why not? Since the circumferenc of a circle is 2pi*r, and the energy of the wave would be spread out as the circle gets larger, wouldn't the intensity be Power/circumference, or P/(2pi*r)? Please enlighten me a bit.

I took a quiz online for school and I had put that in as an answer and it said it was wrong. Maybe the quiz I took was incorrect...

What you are looking for is the amplitude, not the energy. What you have said about energy is right, now you have to use the relation between energy and amplitude, do you remember it?

JPizz said:
I took a quiz online for school and I had put that in as an answer and it said it was wrong. Maybe the quiz I took was incorrect...

The quiz probably was correct... funny thing, I found this question on my online quizzes for school too. Coincedence? :tongue: Do you get a second try at the quiz too?

UgOOgU said:
What you are looking for is the amplitude, not the energy. What you have said about energy is right, now you have to use the relation between energy and amplitude, do you remember it?

A search through my book gives me
[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}\mu\omega^{2}A^{2}\lambda[/tex]

I guess then, [tex]A\propto\sqrt{E}[/tex]
Which leads me to answer choice C. Should that be the correct answer then?

Okay, I've verified that the correct answer is indeed [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{r}}[/tex]. I had a second try on the quiz and got choice C right.

Big thanks to everyone who helped me! :smile:

1. How does distance affect the amplitude of a signal?

The amplitude of a signal decreases as the distance from the source increases. This is because as the signal travels through a medium, it loses energy due to factors like absorption, scattering, and diffraction.

2. Why does the amplitude decrease with distance from the source?

The decrease in amplitude is due to the spreading out of the signal as it travels through a medium. This spreading out of energy results in a decrease in amplitude.

3. What is the relationship between distance and amplitude?

The relationship between distance and amplitude is inversely proportional. This means that as the distance increases, the amplitude decreases.

4. Can the amplitude of a signal increase with distance?

No, the amplitude of a signal cannot increase with distance. It can only decrease due to the energy loss as the signal travels through a medium.

5. How does the medium through which the signal travels affect the decrease in amplitude?

The medium plays a significant role in the decrease in amplitude with distance from the source. Different mediums have different properties that can affect the loss of energy and, therefore, the decrease in amplitude. For example, a signal will lose more energy traveling through a dense medium compared to a less dense one.