Electrochemistry in organic (nonpolar) solvents

In summary, electrochemistry requires a conductive solution and nonpolar solvents are not the ideal choice for this. The system being studied must be soluble in the polar solvent in order to achieve the desired results. Additionally, all solvents have some conductance, with water having high conductance due to its hydrogen bonds. Research has been done on enhancing voltammetric waves of weak acids in the absence of supporting electrolytes.
Hyo X
Im not that familiar with electrochemistry.
You have some liquid solution with some concentration of ions, a reference electrode and a sacrifical electrode. You apply a potential with some feedback to control the potential environment of the liquid in the cell.
Roughly?

Can you do this with organic, nonpolar solvents? Does this change the kind of ions you use?
Are there other considerations? Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The FIRST requirement when doing electrochemistry of any kind is a conductive solution. Nonpolar solutions wouldn't be my first choice.

chemisttree said:
The FIRST requirement when doing electrochemistry of any kind is a conductive solution. Nonpolar solutions wouldn't be my first choice.

I guess the question is whether it is Possible.
Assume the system i want to do electrochemistry on is insoluble in polar solvent. If my electrochemical solution is polar then there is some hydrohpobic/hydrophilic interface that develops around my system, negating the effects of electrochemistry?

CAN it be done with nonpolar solvents?

There will need to be conductance, otherwise no current would flow and then you would not measure a potential difference (for potential-determining) or be able to undergo electrolysis. I think all solvents will have at least some conductance; it's just that water has particularly high conductance thanks to the hydrogen bonds which allow H+ and OH- to conduct very quickly (as they don't really have to flow, more just induce the next ion to take on the positive charge instead, carrying current that way).

Check papers by Ciszkowska & Stojek - like Z. Stojek, M. Ciszkowska, J. Osteryoung, Anal.Chem., 66(1994)1507-12. Self-enhancement of voltammetric waves of weak acids in the absence of supporting electrolyte. I believe they did more research later, not necessarily together.

Likes 1 person

1. What is electrochemistry in organic (nonpolar) solvents?

Electrochemistry in organic (nonpolar) solvents is the study of chemical reactions that involve the transfer of electrons between molecules in nonpolar solvents. This field combines principles of both organic chemistry and electrochemistry to understand how these reactions occur and how they can be controlled.

2. What types of reactions can be studied using electrochemistry in organic (nonpolar) solvents?

Electrochemistry in organic (nonpolar) solvents can be used to study a wide range of reactions, including redox reactions, electrolysis, and electrocatalysis. These reactions can involve both organic and inorganic molecules, and can be used in various industries such as pharmaceuticals, energy production, and materials science.

3. How do nonpolar solvents affect electrochemical reactions?

Nonpolar solvents, such as hydrocarbons or fluorocarbons, can affect electrochemical reactions by providing a medium for ions to move and react in. These solvents do not have a separation of positive and negative charges, so the ions are not as strongly attracted to the solvent molecules. This allows for more freedom of movement and can affect the rate and selectivity of the reaction.

4. What are some advantages of using nonpolar solvents in electrochemistry?

Nonpolar solvents have a lower dielectric constant compared to polar solvents, which means they have a weaker ability to stabilize ions. This can be advantageous in electrochemistry because it allows for more control over the reaction conditions and can lead to higher selectivity and efficiency. Additionally, nonpolar solvents are less prone to side reactions, making them useful for studying specific reactions.

5. Are there any limitations to using electrochemistry in organic (nonpolar) solvents?

One limitation of using electrochemistry in organic (nonpolar) solvents is that not all compounds are soluble in these solvents. This can limit the types of reactions that can be studied using this technique. Additionally, the use of nonpolar solvents can also lead to lower current densities and slower reaction rates compared to polar solvents. Therefore, the choice of solvent must be carefully considered for each specific reaction being studied.