Buying classical editions of textbooks

In summary, the conversation is discussing where to buy classical editions of certain textbooks, specifically George B. Thomas's Calculus. The conversation suggests checking with booksellers who specialize in out-of-print books or searching for libraries selling old textbooks. Specific websites such as powells.com, alibris.com, and abebooks.com are recommended.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
I was just wondering if and where I can buy classical editions of certain textbooks.

eg. I want to get George B. Thomas's Calculus, but I want the classical 2nd edition.

Amazon only has the latest edition(s), and I don't want those.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone?

There are booksellers who specialize in old, out-of-print books. Usually (for obvious reasons) they tend to cater to the collectors of $$$$ books, not people who want old used textbooks. You might also try to search for libraries that are de-acquisitioning out-dated texts to see what they have for sale.

Do you know specific company names of such booksellers?

alright thanks I'll check it out

If anyone here has read the GBT Jr Calculus series, which edition would be the best one?

alibris.com and abebooks.com.

Related to Buying classical editions of textbooks

1. What are the benefits of buying classical editions of textbooks?

Classical editions of textbooks offer several benefits, including historical context and original language use, which can enhance understanding and critical thinking skills. They may also be more affordable compared to newer editions.

2. Where can I purchase classical editions of textbooks?

Classical editions of textbooks can often be found at used bookstores or online retailers. You may also be able to find them at your local library or through interlibrary loan.

3. Are classical editions of textbooks still relevant in today's education?

Yes, classical editions of textbooks can still be relevant in today's education. While there may be updated information and technology in newer editions, the core concepts and theories remain the same in classical editions.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy and authenticity of a classical edition textbook?

To ensure the accuracy and authenticity of a classical edition textbook, it is important to research the publisher and edition of the textbook. You can also check for reviews or ask for recommendations from trusted sources.

5. Can I use classical editions of textbooks for academic purposes?

Yes, you can use classical editions of textbooks for academic purposes. However, it is important to verify with your instructor or institution if they accept older editions for coursework or exams.