Blinking light circuit voltage vs. time?

In summary, the conversation discusses a blinking light circuit and the question of determining the voltage versus time graph for the circuit. The circuit includes a 4.0 μF capacitor in parallel with a neon lamp, and when the voltage reaches 75 V, the neon lamp conducts electricity and discharges the capacitor, creating a flash of orange light. The question asks to determine the flash frequency and sketch the voltage versus time graph. The conversation also mentions that the capacitor takes 0.114 seconds to recharge after each flash, and the flash only lasts for 0.1 seconds. The conversation ends with determining the voltage the capacitor drops to before recharging and converting the time between flashes to frequency in hertz.
mikebc
Blinking light circuit...voltage vs. time?

You guys have been so incredibly helpful in this forum I really appreciate it. I am a little bit confused on part of the following question and am hoping to get some help with it also if I can.
I believe I did the first part right, but I am not sure about the graph. If the length of the flash is 0.1s and the flash frequency is 0.114s, then I was thinking that it might take 0.04s for the charge to dissipate before it starts to recharge. Now that I am looking at my graph more closely, I see that my #'s are not the same as my calculation results. Even so, I still do not understand the shape it is supposed to be. Threshold is 75v and when the flash would occur, so charge builds up but once the charge is released does it drop straight down to 0 on the graph or more of a slope?
The question follows and I have sent a scan of my work. Thanks.

Question
A simple type of blinking light circuit can be constructed using a neon lamp. The
circuit shown here has a 4.0 μF capacitor in parallel with a neon lamp. When the
voltage is low in the RC portion of the circuit, the lamp does not conduct
electricity. Therefore, it is
effectively not there from an
electrical point of view. The RC
circuit will then charge from the
110 V power supply. However,
when the voltage across the
capacitor reaches 75 V, the neon
will ionize very quickly and the
neon lamp will become a very
good conductor, and will immediately discharge the capacitor. The energy stored
in the capacitor will be given off as a flash of orange light, making this a useful
circuit. After the flash, the charging process will start once more since the
voltage will again be low.
a. Determine the flash frequency with the resistance value shown.
b. Make a sketch of the voltage across the capacitor versus time in such a
circuit, showing several periods.

Attachments

• homework2.pdf
    336.8 KB · Views: 366
Physics news on Phys.org
If the flash only lasts for 0.1 secs and it takes .114 secs for the capacitor to recharge the capacitor doesn't drop to zero volts.
The capacitor discharges through the lamp as a normal 1/RC curve, when it gets down to a certain voltage the lamp is no longer ionized and will switch off ( goes open circuit) the capacitor will level off at this voltage and begin to recharge.

Thank you for your help, although I don't think I completely understand. There is 0.114s between each flash and then the flash lasts for 0.1s. Is there a way to determine what voltage it drops to before recharging?

It aslo asks for flash frequency...

Make sure your answer is in hertz...

time between flashes is the period... take the inverse of that to get the frequency..

Thank you, I didn't even notice that!

1. What is the purpose of a blinking light circuit?

A blinking light circuit is designed to create a flashing or blinking effect in a light source. This can be used for a variety of purposes, such as signaling, decoration, or warning indicators.

2. How does the voltage affect the blinking speed of the light?

The voltage in a blinking light circuit determines the rate at which the light blinks. A higher voltage will generally result in a faster blinking speed, while a lower voltage will result in a slower blinking speed.

3. What factors can affect the voltage in a blinking light circuit?

The voltage in a blinking light circuit can be affected by various factors, such as the power source, the type of components used, and any resistance or capacitance in the circuit.

4. What is the relationship between voltage and time in a blinking light circuit?

The relationship between voltage and time in a blinking light circuit can be seen as an inverse relationship. As the voltage increases, the time between blinks decreases, and vice versa.

5. How can I adjust the voltage in a blinking light circuit?

The voltage in a blinking light circuit can be adjusted by using a variable resistor or by changing the power source. It is important to make sure the voltage is within the recommended range for the components used in the circuit to avoid damage.